Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Wall in Garage

We just bought our first home, which is a 1950s rambler that has been renovated several times by some less-than-professional DIYers. I have many projects to undertake, many of which I will probably contract with professionals. However, I'd like to save some money and try to undertake some projects where I think I could do a reasonable job and save some money. I'm new to the DIY world, but I'm not afraid to get into the books and learn.

The background for my project: We have a carport, which has actually been renovated such that it is enclosed on three sides -- essentially a garage now without the front garage door. The back wall of the "garage" is a common wall with my office inside the house. This common wall looks very shoddy to me. Not only is it ugly looking, I'm pretty sure that it is very poorly insulated since my office is several degrees warmer than everywhere else in my house. I'd like to replace/renovate this wall so it looks better, and maybe provides a bit better insulation to my adjoining office. The wall is probably around 10 feet high and 16 feet across.

My questions:

(1) Is this the type of project that a novice DIYer can undertake, or is it better to leave something like this to the experts?

(2) Even if doable, is the project so messy or tedious that you think it is worth the money to bring in a contractor?

(3) Assuming this is something that is doable, can I use drywall in the garage, which is not completely enclosed on four sides? Or will the exposure to the elements require a different material for the wall?

Looking back on my post I see that I've been a little verbose here. I apologize for that, but I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Many thanks!

viking1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing Wall in Garage

These are fairly easy tasks to deal with if you're decently handy. My first question would be, "Was this conversion filed for?"
I doubt it since it actually needs to be completed to pass inspection. Are you planning on putting on the fourth wall and a garage door?
I'd find out the status first and plan accordingly.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Wall in Garage

When you say "filed for," I assume you mean building permit? I don't know the answer to that question (since I just bought the house), but I suspect the answer is no since I'm pretty sure it is not code to have a "garage" with windows. As it has been explained to me, once you enclose a carport on three sides, it becomes a "garage." A "garage" can not have interior windows to the house. Since there are interior windows in my situation, I've been told that this set-up is probably not to code. This is all based on hearsay though...I've not actually looked into any of this....maybe blissful ignorance on my part.

I would like to eventually turn this into a full-fledged, fully-enclosed garage, but I'm not at all comfortable in my abilities to put in a garage door. I'll also have to close those interior windows. It's on my list of things to look into.

Any concerns?
viking1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing Wall in Garage

In NY it's gotten to the point banks won't give mortgages on properties where all the structures don't have C of O's or the house doesn't have 100 amp service.
Sheetrock doesn't have a whole lot of moisture resistance so unless you can protect it from getting wet I'd keep it from the front of the garage. If this garage renovation will house a car there are certain codes that need to be adhered to. Even if it doesn't there are codes. I have no idea what your locality requires. Some rural areas you can just about do what you want.
If you're eventually going to put in a garage door you will need to frame it out correctly so the door fits.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote