DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Vinyl Windows w/o Nailing Fin

8K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  irish 
#1 · (Edited)
New user here, got an issue I'm dealing with.

I'm replacing the vinyl windows in my home with new vinyl windows. The new windows don't have a nailing fin.

I removed the old windows by taking out the drywall interior stops and used a sawzall to cut the nailing fin. The new windows I'm installing do not have a nailing fin. So far, I've installed two windows by just shimming the window, screwing it to the frame and foaming around the window.

For the interior finish, I am going to use wood trim, but my problem is finishing the exterior.

The old windows, as I said, had the fin, and the aluminum siding was butted up against the frame of the windows and caulked. With the new windows, the siding will still butt up against the window frame, but can I just caulk the seam and be done? I don't think that would be too weatherproof....maybe I should stick some type of adhesive backed flashing to the window and tuck it behind the siding to seal the gap....

Should I find some type of T trim that will partially sit over the window and over the siding and caulk that? Should I build a wood frame that sits over the window and siding? What are my options?

Any ideas would be great. I just want to make sure these things are sealed up air tight. Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry for the crudity of the image, but this is kind of what I was thinking. The exterior trim "frame" would be screwed through the vinyl into the window frame around the window. It would partially cover the window frame and the siding. I'd caulk both sides to make sure it was sealed tightly.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.