Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Replacing trim pieces on brand new vinyl siding

I recently had a siding job done on my house and it looks fantastic. I saw another house similar to mine except the corner trim was white and I really liked it so I have been mulling over the idea of calling the contractor and having him change it to white. My question is it an easy fix for an inexperienced person like myself? how much would this material cost or would it be better if I went back to the contractor? It may sound ridiculous since I just had it finished but the white trim really enhanced the house and I thought it would do the same especially with white trim everywhere else. I put black around the trim I'm speaking of.

Replacing trim pieces on brand new vinyl siding-house3.jpg

I colored the trim in white to give a better idea of what I'm speaking of.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing trim pieces on brand new vinyl siding-house2.jpg  

Last edited by nsb318; 05-15-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: update
nsb318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I have worked with vinyl some but am not an expert at it by any means -- I think a vinyl contractor would charge quite a bit as I think this will not be easy and I would not attempt it myself

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meboatermike View Post
I have worked with vinyl some but am not an expert at it by any means -- I think a vinyl contractor would charge quite a bit as I think this will not be easy and I would not attempt it myself
I just realized I think this is called the outside corner post and the siding nails into this. So unless I'm loaded its utterly impossible unless I paint it.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

well there are a few ways to do it,the most common being cutting the existing corner out leaving the nailing flange and the j pocket

cut the nailing flange and the middle part of the j pocket off the replacement corner,snap the new post onto the outside edge of the j pocket remaining on the wall and secure with a rivet at the top of the corner

or just use a paint that's suitable for use on pvc

it not as hard as it sounds but unless you have done it a few times ....

i would charge about 200 per corner

Last edited by Tom Struble; 05-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
well there are a few ways to do it,the most common being cutting the existing corner out leaving the nailing flange and the j pocket

cut the nailing flange and the middle part of the j pocket off the replacement corner,snap the new post onto the outside edge of the j pocket remaining on the wall and secure with a rivet at the top of the corner

I was thinking it would be easiest to paint it but I just can't bring myself to painting brand new trim.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #6

its just a 15$ corner if you don't like it then replace it...but believe me if you do a nice job painting it nobody will ever know
Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
its just a 15$ corner if you don't like it then replace it...but believe me if you do a nice job painting it nobody will ever know
Which brings up a question. I don't have any vinyl siding and seldom work around any, but on occasion I drive by some that appears to be fading. My question is: How long before vinyl will need a paint job?

I recently drove by a house I used to own that had aluminum siding over really nice dutch lap siding (with lots of paint build up) and saw they were having the aluminum painted. I had intended to remove the alum and strip and repaint the dutch lap, but the massive amount of butchering to the window trim by the alum siding guys slowed me up and I ended up selling it before I got to that project. Anyway, that got me to thinking about vinyl not being final.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #8

vinyl siding is not final...maintenance free is a myth
Old 05-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,450

No other siding comes off and can go back on the wall easier than Vinyl. On the left side you have two short runs it would be very easy to remove the siding, replace the corner and replace the siding damage free. Can’t see around the corner on the right side but even if it was a multiple piece run you can still easily remove just the siding going into the corner and replace.

One person with even minimal experienced in Vinyl could easily have this done before lunch.

Corners cost about $15 each
Old 05-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #10

i don't know about that you will be pulling off 1/2 the siding just to replace 4 corners

op really just try painting them first
Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

From experience with working with vinyl siding: IMO-you would not have to remove any of the vinyl siding pieces to change out the corner post. You would have to "unlock" the vinyl back about 3-4 feet on each side of the corner, remove the nails/screws of the siding and corner post, then remove the corner post. Install the new white corner post and proceed to fasten everything down. I'm with "tom" on this one, $200 per corner for me to do it. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:

Tom is right this is the easiest and best way to do it. We use this method alot on the first floor of houses because weed wackers seem to kill alot of corners. It only takes about 15 minutes and the material to do one corner.
The Vinyl siding institute even has a manual with drawings you can download that shows the method Tom is talking about.

Last edited by rock16; 05-17-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: forgot a word
rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote