DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing Termite Damaged Sill, Joists, and Girders

9K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  bd_dc 
#1 ·
While gutting our basement we discovered extensive termite damage that the previous owners were supposedly unaware of. We've got the termites resolved, and now it is time to tackle the damage they've done. I'll be needing to replace/repair 12' of damaged sill, 10' of girders, and 3 joists. This is at the back of the house, where the girder meets the sill (the damaged joists are running parallel to the damaged sill).

The process for replacing a girder or a joist is pretty straight forward for me. However, taking the weight of the sill, I am not too sure on. Do I need to expose the studs above the sill, on the house's exterior, attach a horizontal beam to the studs, and then jack the weight off the sill?

Secondly, I imagine that my strategy should be to lift the external wall, the joists, and then the girder, thereby taking the weight off the sill so that it can be replaced. Then lower the external wall to the sill and replace the girder. Lower the girder, and finally sister in some new joists. Am I outlining this correctly? I'm thinking this order solely because the joists rest on the girder, which rests on the sill.

I'll attach a photo which shows where the joists, girder, and sill all meet and look nasty.

Thanks for any advice you folks might have..

B.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.