Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |

replacing supporting covered porch wall

Great forum here with lots of knowledge! Hoping someone can help me with my project.

I currently have a covered porch on the front of the house, as you can see behind the 6 windows by the entry way. I'd like to remove this front wall and replace it with 6x6 posts and a beam. The porch is 4.5'x22'. This was an addition to the house years ago. I put a steel roof on last fall and extended the rafters down so it now appears as one roof.

My plan is to use the same floor which is there, just bring it down to the joists and put some decking on it. About one foot of the left most window over the porch is where it begins. Everything is attached to the house at that point, 6' to the right is a conrete footing, followed by two more at 6' intervals.

I will build a temporary wall to support things while i remove the wall that is currently there, I would like to use 6x6 posts with a doubled or tripled beam on top. The 6x6s will be placed above the conrete footings onto the floors beam thats in place now.

My questions are

Without having a concrete footing on the left side of things close to the house, how can I support the left end of this beam?

This beam will be exposed as will the posts, they will get finished with stain. What is the best way to attach the posts to beams while keeping a clean finish, can the beam simply be toenailed to the posts?

Thanks for any help and or criticism
Attached Thumbnails
replacing supporting covered porch wall-sany3448.jpg  

Walker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Just sit the beam on the top plate on the house.It might be a good idea to add a couple more studs under it to beef it up.

Ataching the beam to the post you can buy a bracket that is H shape it attaches to the post and the beam too.If you dont want that bracket because the way it looks just toe nail the beam into the posts.All the weight is pushing down so it wont go anywhere.But you might have to use it to meet your builiding codes.

Last edited by scottktmrider; 07-29-2012 at 09:33 PM.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

before doing anything I'd check with your local building department to find out any code requirements, including wind, snow and live load requirements. These requirements will determine how these connections will have to be made. For example, toe-nails may provide resistance to lateral (front-to-back) and shear (side-to-side) forces, but do not for uplift. Depending on the loads you may have to use metal connectors. A search of Simpson Strong-Tie and USP websites, as well as other manufacturers, you will probably find a connector that would be more pleasing to the eye than just galvanized steel.

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

really? glad to know that .... guess I should call up the American Wood Council and tell them to rewrite the NDS and Wood Frame Construction Manuals .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengfutai0509 View Post
All the weight is pushing down so it wont go anywhere.But you might have to use it to meet your builiding codes.
Wind load, torsion from snow load on the roof, and potentially earthquake or other lateral loading all may act on the structure. I wouldn't be too worried about shear loads and racking as the owner stated it was an addition and the roof diaphragm will assist in this regard.

The loads and the calculations associated with them would need to be figured to accommodate all that the code and standard design manuals require.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote