Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing support columns

I have a second story balcony area about 20x7 feet. It is covered by a roof and is also above my first floor washroom and bathroom. Well the balcony floor is rotted and leaking into my first floor bathroom. I am going to replace the plywood with new plywood and any floor joists that may also be rotted. My question is with the new support columns holding up the roof over the balcony. Do I need to fasten the posts to the floor or will the weight alone be fine? Also, if I do fasten the posts to the floor, what do I do about stopping an future leaks into the first floor since I will be putting holes in the floor that lead to the first floor? It is not enclosed and rain can get into the balcony. I was also thinking about putting in some sort of rubber roofing down for the floor after the plywood is installed and beams.

MugsynSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Replacing support columns

You should discuss the issues with your building inspector, your project may be a lot more complicated than you think. You are going to be effectively completely renovating an existing space, this is likely to trigger the need for a building permit, and you are probably going to need to meet current code. Your local inspector can tell you the rules of the game before you spend time and money planning.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote