Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Replacing stud wall behind brick

I need to replace a stud wall that consists of tyvek and osb on the outer skin. My question is how do you re-attach the brick ties to the new wall? I don't want to demo the brick and plan to build the new wall on the floor and lift it into place after supporting the existing ceiling joists. (That's my plan anyway). Anybody ever had to do this? What did or would you guy's do? Thanks in advance.

bayoudonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

Replacing stud wall behind brick

The stud wall you are trying to replace is actually the back-up or support for the brick veneer. It is necessary for all the ties to be in place to connect the veneer to the structure.

I don't know what kind of code enforcement you have, but it would probably be cheaper to rebuild the veneer to get a proper wall in the end.

From a practical standpoint, I inspected over 600 homes damaged from Katrina. Even though the veneer is technically supported by the studs, I saw a dramatic difference in the danage from Katrina and Rita. - The veneer actually provides support and rigidity.

The homes with flimsy siding (vinyl, wood) were racked and twisted to the point of being useless even if the mold and moisture did not ruin the wood. The homes with brick veneer (even only patial height or several walls) had far less damage and cracks and could be repaired. This was due to the stiffening provided by the masonry properly attached to the "structure". This was common in Slidell that had a lot of water/surge and the west bank of N.O. that only had the wind and roof damage.

Without seeing you home or knowing if any codes must be met, it is impossible to give you a specific method of attaching existing veneer to a new wall built later. The important thing is that the veneer must be attached in order for the veneer to give you the benefits. Since the veneer is very rigid, you could end up with many cracks as the wood stud wall shrinks and finally gets into its place and the eventual wind loads come around again.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote