Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing a sliding glass door with a new window

I am getting ready to replace an old sliding glass door with a new window, but have a few questions. Here is where I am. The old window is about 8 W x 7 H. I am replacing it with and Anderson 3 pane casement window that is 72 W x 41 H. I am planning on leaving the header in place and then framing the area out for the new window and wall. Here are my questions:

1. The rest of the house (70 + yrs old) is not wrapped with Tyvek or any other house wrap under the wood shingles. Or I should say I am not sure if the rest of the house is wrapped. Does it make any sense to wrap this small area? If so should I use Tyvek or tar paper?

2. Is OSB acceptable for the exterior walls or do I need to use plywood?

Any other tricks or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Ian

Last edited by twildey; 07-22-2010 at 07:39 AM.
twildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Replacing a sliding glass door with a new window

1. I would cover the framed in area for water proofing and draft resistance. Every little bit helps. Use 15 pound felt (tar paper) to save buying a roll of Tyvek.

2. OSB is fine as long as nothing in a local code rejects it. I have not heard of an area that does.