Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing single step out back porch to patio

Hello all, new user here with limited DIY experience but confident I can handle this task.

Our back porch steps out to an open concrete slab patio. The single stair that assists this is in poor repair and I would like to replace it. The house is on a slab and this would be attached to brick.

Two questions:

1. We live in NC, does anyone know of any code requirements that I would need to adhere to for this small project? If so, it certainly do not appear as though the current step adheres to any kind of code spec.

2. What are the best options for attaching what I can best describe as a ledger board to the foundation? I am trying to decide between masonry screws (do not have a hammer drill, just a regular drill and impact driver) and some form of powder actuated system.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! I look forward to joining this community and contributing what I can!

atcstretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

Replacing single step out back porch to patio

Post a picture.
I sure would not be worryed about a permit for one step.
I believe you did not even mention what the steps made of.
Any step needs to be at least 4" below any door opening, or water can get in under the threshold.