Replacing Sill Plate/rim Board Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

replacing sill plate/rim board questions

I have replaced these boards and adding weepscreed flashing. The house was built in 1965.This house did not have metal weepscreed so I want to make sure I am placing it in the right spot.

I believe I have to line up weepscreed where it bends out away from the house with the bottom part of the wood sill plate.(in line with the 3 arrows/see pictures)

Then I will bring the stucco netting (black paper/chicken wire) down to the spot just where the weepscreed bends out away from the house.(where the 3 arrows are).

I have to add stucco netting (chicken wire only) from the bottom side of the weepscreed flashing and make it transition into the existing stucco below the sill plate that is still left on the house. I will probably knock off some more existing stucco to make it easier to add a larger piece of stucco netting.

Am I able to use short concrete nails as furring nails with the short round cardboard spacers and nail it into the existing raised concrete foundation to hold the stucco netting? I dont need a lot of nails to make it work.

Any suggestions or corrections would be welcome. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
replacing sill plate/rim board questions-house-floor-plans-113.jpg   replacing sill plate/rim board questions-house-floor-plans-114.jpg  

Advertisement

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 260

replacing sill plate/rim board questions

After watching some you tube videos I learned that people in the business recommend just taking the stucco off the concrete foundation. The houses built before the beginning of using weepscreed had the concrete foundation covered up with stucco for cosmetic reasons.

When the dirt laying against the stucco gets wet the moisture wicks up the stucco and can go as high as 3' or higher and create the damage mine had. Look at the "before damage" on my house that I fixed myself.

I am just going to figure out how to finish the existing exposed concrete foundation with a thinned down concrete mixture or whatever some one recommends and then paint it with the same color house paint.
Attached Thumbnails
replacing sill plate/rim board questions-house-floor-plans-079.jpg  

Advertisement

Pawl is offline   Reply With Quote