Replacing A Sill With Joices And Floor Missing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing

My dad and I are trying to fix up my gram's old house. Lots of problems to fix here. The worst so far is the fact that there is a small natural spring running in a ditch around the basement floor which created a ton of moisture and had to remove the floor and joices in the corner it comes in from. Now we see that the sill is rotten and needs to come out. Anybody know what the best way is to accomplish this without the joices and floor in place?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing-s7300838.jpg   Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing-s7300839.jpg   Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing-s7300840.jpg   Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing-s7300841.jpg   Replacing a sill with joices and floor missing-s7300858.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by jeffbordner; 06-01-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added photos
jeffbordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

We need a few pictures--I know you will get the answers if you put in a few pictures.--Mike--

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #3

Exclamation

Several questions. Is this a one story structure? Is this concrete with stone on top I'm looking at? Are the stones secure (not loose)
First of all when replacing the plates and joists use treated lumber. (good rule of thumb is treated where ever wood touches concrete or stone)
Holding up the weight of a roof or second floor while replacing the plates is something that should be done only by a pro. I am a pro and can offer solutions. However if you are the slightest bit queezy about the processes call a pro to be there to instruct you.
Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

It is a two story structure however it is very small. it was originally a one room school house but my grandparents bought and remodeled it into a home. The second floor is just two long rooms. The foundation is all rock. They are very sturdy however the top layer has some loose stuff. We have all treatedlumber to replace the existing sill and joices.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #5

It is a two story structure however it is very small. it was originally a one room school house but my grandparents bought and remodeled it into a home. The second floor is just two long rooms. The foundation is all rock. They are very sturdy however the top layer has some loose stuff. We have all treatedlumber to replace the existing sill and joices. I cant really afford to hire a pro to do anything so any solutions or guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,216

You will need to lift the weight off the wall(or walls) in order to remove the sill.

A temporary wall is usually build to do this--you sound like a logical thinker--I think you will find a way.

Temporary girder? with support wall on top?

That is one old structure---often when you see a sill that wide and thick the studs are mortised into
the sill--not nailed. Amazing craftsman ship.

That means that you are going to need a sawsall to cut the studs free from the sill.

Sills are best when installed in one piece --however ,best--and what works are not always the same.

If you must piece in the sill--I assume the sill will be a nice thick one---use a half lap where the sections meet. avoid a butt joint---the rock foundation will not be even --the half lap will help.

Pour grout under the sill to fill any gaps.

You are going to have to be a bit creative--if the building is sagging -- now might be the time to jack it a bit.

Sounds like fun--I wish I was there-----Mike-----

Advertisement

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote