Replacing Siding - Question About Vapor Barrier - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing siding - question about vapor barrier

Hi - I'm replacing some old and rotten particle board based lap siding with hardiplank lap siding.

I'm afraid that when I remove the old siding, I will find that either the vapor (water?) barrier is not there, or is damaged, so I plan on putting some house wrap behind the new hardiplank siding.

The question(s) I have are:

1) This portion of the house that I am starting on has wood trim on all corners -- How is the house wrap handled (attached) in the corners (and / or when it buts up against the trim?)

- Is there something that needs to go down at the junction of the house wrap and the trim to make that seam water tight?

2) Where the hardiplank boards meet each other (butt joints) do they require some sort of flashing or material behind the joint?

Thanks!

Advertisement

ChemistryisCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

You need to be going on the James Hardee web site and down loading the install instrutions.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Estimator & Draftsmen

Rewards Points: 10

Joe Caption is correct, best thing is to consult the JH installation guide regarding the joints. Many contractors will simply caulk the butt joint, however JH released a tech bulletin stating that this was not acceptable, and not warrantied. Your butt-joints need to be properly flashed. JH's site will show you the proper method. Regarding the housewrap, check with the manufacturer as they may have specific details on how they want their product seamed. The housewrap we carry recommends a 6" overlap and then seamed with an approved vapor tape. Tyvek housewrap installation calls for a min 6" overlap and then seamed with their tape. Make sure to properly flash any openings (windows and doors). We sell Henry BlueSkin in a 4" and 6" wide rolls, the contractors here love using it. Again, follow the manufacturers installation instructions. Like anything, if you install it wrong you WILL have issues down the road.
CanAmGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,644

Like Joe said...get the info from them....

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...Tab=jsnavLink4

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote