Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #1

Share |

replacing rotten rim joist

Howdy,

The front of my house is rotten! I pulled the siding off and realized that the wood frame that the siding skirt was mounted to was touching the ground and wicking moisture up. The house is built like a barn pretty much, and is sitting on cinder blocks.

I have 3, 20-ton bottle jacks and plenty of PT lumber. I've leveled the rest of the house and replaced a few other sections of joists under the house, but, this being an outside wall, is probably more dangerous. Could me and a few other people do this? Could I jack the rotten rim joist and replace it in sections? Or should I jack the whole wall and replace the whole thing at once?

I know I should hire a professional to do this, but I can't and I need to get it done before it gets any worse.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
replacing rotten rim joist-p1020555-small-.jpg   replacing rotten rim joist-p1020557-small-.jpg   replacing rotten rim joist-p1020559-small-.jpg   replacing rotten rim joist-p1020560-small-.jpg   replacing rotten rim joist-p1020562-small-.jpg  

replacing rotten rim joist-p1020564-small-.jpg  

aws316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

I have no idea what your skill level is. I can tell you that jacking up a house is an inherently risky operation. Should you decide to do it, you would be well advised to get the assistance of someone who has personal, hands on experience doing it. Do NOT rely on bottle jacks to actually hold up the house, they are OK to lift the house, but you need positive cribbing to hold the house in position when you do the lift, this may mean steel beams or long, heavy timber. Be careful, people can and do get killed doing this sort of thing, and the learning curve can be brutal.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Haverhill Trade 1965

Is there more than one joist at that end? If not you might be able to add one or two behind it then jack under those or all three. Many building movers use bottle jacks supported by their cribbing and adding more cribbing as they jack. You only have to go up a little, not raise the house. If there are more than one to start it will probably take a lot more cribbing and replacing by sections. Joints over support piers. If in doubt, DON'T! Knowing where to put the cribbing & jacks is most important. That, and a long jack handle to stay out from under it. Some SonoTubes would be nice too.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duckweather For This Useful Post:
hand drive (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #4

You have some far more important issues going on with that foundation that needs to be addressed.

Those piers are not even close to be right, and there in the wrong place or there's not enough of them. You can tell because the rim joist has been crushed from the weight.
Wood shims should not have been used, there only a single row of hollow blocks, looks like there may not be footers pored under the block.

Last edited by joecaption; 06-21-2012 at 07:23 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Hi, is that a double rim joist or single rim joist.

also, looks like some of the leaking was caused by the window trim( both sides), maybe a hole somewhere or improperly installed...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #6

well

Thanks for your post.
McCumber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #7

Is there any Z moulding over the top of that window?
What condition are the window sills in?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote