Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a rotted 6x6 column in basement

Hi everyone I have a very old house that has a rotted 6x6 wood support beam. I would like to replace it is this something the average DIY can do. The others all look fine. It looks rather easy from my research, but I would like to here your suggestions. Oh by the way the floor footing is still in good shape. Thanks for your help

DJKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 262

place temp bracing on eace side of the column, cut out and replace the column, remove bracing, very simple, I just did this myself.

cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd switch out the wood for a concrete filled metal support column. Installation is similar, but you'll need to measure the space and have the pole fabricated. They'll cut the pole to length and weld a plate onto the cut end. You will bolt each side. One to the beam and the other to the floor.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,086

DJKevin -

Are you talking about replacing and column or a beam?

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Dick it's the column not the beam. Everyone thanks sounds simple just have to play it safe. One last question its a two story brick house. How big of a jack will i need. I like the steel column Idea where would I get it
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #6

Cbzdel You didnt jack up the beam a little ?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKevin View Post
Dick it's the column not the beam. Everyone thanks sounds simple just have to play it safe. One last question its a two story brick house. How big of a jack will i need. I like the steel column Idea where would I get it
Look in the yellow pages under "Iron Work" or "Steel Fabricators".
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #8

I have done this job on my house which was built around 1900. First do not assume the footing is ok! If the floor is not finished I would pour a new footing and hang the new column from the beam and pour the concrete with the lolly column in place thereby insuring a perfect fit. good luck! Be careful.
KenGrunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Several people have told you that this is an "easy" job, possibly because they did it and it went well. But it is also possible that they have more experience than you, or they might have had help from someone with experience. This is not a technically difficult job, however it is extremely dangerous if you get it wrong.

Allow me to make a few suggestions, safety related, if you undertake this task yourself.

1. Even though the jacks are only going to hold up the beam temporarily while you remove the column and install the new one, DO NOT use hydraulic jacks such as a car jack as long term support, since the jacks will inevitably lose pressure. Screw jacks with a positive locking mechanism work fine, just make sure they are rated for the load, which you need to determine by computing the total vertical load that is going to be supported. If you do not know how to do this, get some help from someone who does, or possibly the place you either buy or rent the jacks will help.

2. The temporary supports need to be adequately supported at the base. I suggest you rent the jacks, maybe from the same place that sells you the permanent lally column. They will have recommendations for a support at the base to hold up the jacks. Often this is done by using steel plates or wooden plates, again the jack rental store should have a recommendation. Remember, you are going to be working underneath a fully loaded beam supported by a pair of jacks, the support needs to be bombproof if you value your life.

3. Make sure the lally column you buy is rated for the load to be supported, and is rated for PERMANENT installation. There are a lot of lally columns out there that are rated for temporary duty only. I estimate that in 50% of the properties I have looked at, the wrong type of lally column was installed in at least one location.

4. I totally agree with previous poster about the footer, in many cases there is no footer (lally column is on a 2 inch thick slab), or the footer is inadequate. The size of footer you require depends on the soil type, which you cannot possibly know until you open up the floor. You may want to discuss this with your building inspector, assuming you need and/or plan to pull a permit.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
DJKevin (07-07-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #10

Thats some good information. I think I will try and do it seeing that its pretty straight forward. I understand the dangers though. Thanks for the information everyone. Now off to find a screw jack
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKevin View Post
Thats some good information. I think I will try and do it seeing that its pretty straight forward. I understand the dangers though. Thanks for the information everyone. Now off to find a screw jack
You can get a 20 ton hydraulic jack at Sears for under $90.00. Or rent one for a day or 2 at a rental place.