Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing rooftop deck - permit needed?

I recently bought a sixth floor condominium in Chicago. It has an existing, floating rooftop deck - no railings because the parapet walls serve as the "railings." In other words, it's just decking sitting on 2x4 stringers.

Anyways, the boards are rotting so I would like to replace all of the lumber. I have approval from the condo board to do the work myself, subject to obtaining any necessary permits.

The question is, would any permits be needed for a job like this? If yes, do you foresee any issues with me trying to obtain the permits myself (rather than through a licensed contractor)?

I have calls and emails in to the building department but they seem to be extremely slow in getting back to me so I thought I'd ask you guys about your experiences, what to expect in the permit process (if needed), etc.

esk8mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 108

I see no way anyone here can tell you what the rules are in your area.
The people on here are from all over the world and the requirements to do work can be differant from town to town even in the same state.
If this deck is on a sixth floor my guess would be yes you need one.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

True - I just thought since I lived in a pretty big city there might be others from the area on here. Also, I would imagine other people doing work in large cities might have had similar experiences that might be instructive.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

If your right in the city then I'm 99.9% sure your going to need a permit.
You also have way to many nosy people around you that might call in and complain just because they have nothing better to do.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #5

Thanks. Do you think there will be any issues with me getting the permit since I am not a licensed contractor? I know specialized work like plumbing, electrical etc. requires people licensed in the respective trades.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Retired carpenter

You have some deck boards screwed to 2x4s, and the 2x4s are just sitting on the rooftop? And you want to replace the deck boards and the 2x4s?

That shouldn't require a permit or a licensed contractor, anywhere, except maybe in Chicago.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote