Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing roof over porch

We bought our house late last summer, and one of the many issues was the roof over the existing porch. It is old T&G w/ 2X4 rafters, apparently there was leaking in the past and it was just reshingled, but that (not surprisingly) didn't address the leaking issues. It leaked massively, the sheathing is shot and some of the rafters are deteriorating. Here's a shot of the existing configuration.

Now, I had to halfassed repair it to stop rain from pouring in last fall, but it needs rebuilding, I don't see a point in trying to patch up something already ratty.

What I'd like opinions on is this: would I be better off in the long run rebuilding the walls higher to the level of the adjacent wall to the left, and then taking the roof from there up to the peak of the gable, in essence eliminating the exposed siding between roofing levels and establishing a continuous roof across the entire back? This would pitch the roof more to shed rain (which should be a +) and allow heavier/thicker construction w/ more insulation, etc., along with allowing me to create soffit venting to the attic, or is this just too much, a pipedream and biting off more than I can chew? I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of simply replacing the existing configuration done better (less work, less $$) as opposed to sucking it up and doing something bigger/better/harder/pricier/more valuable in the long run.

ThatDaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote