Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing roadside mailbox.

The existing mailbox is probably 40 years old and it looks it. It is rusty tilted and with chipped paint. Now the plan to change this should I place box in NEW hole or keep the same one and fill with quick concrete (since it wasnt the first time). Next should I use pressure trated wood for the post or not and do you( the members) think it would be better to get a metal or plastic type mailbox-----> this part may be our preference.

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

I'd go with the same hole. When you pull the old box out, half the work is done. Dirt is broken up nicely making for easier digging of new hole. I've always had wood posts for my mailboxes (PT 4"x4") mainly because I can make them myself and just add the old box or a new one as needed. I set mine with a bag of "Sakrete" to keep it steady. Metal or plastic is your choice.....

Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the info...its my next project to do shouldnt be a big one but just finsihed putting 16X16 swingset/slide play area for child in back yard need an easy one next.
68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Yeah, those big wooden swing set/play areas can be quite a daunting task.....