DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing a post holding part of the roof up

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Fix'n it 
#1 ·
I have an overhang of about 8 feet on the front of my house with 3 4x4 posts holding that part of the roof up. Started to strip the paint to repaint them and noticed they are quite rotten, at least one of them is pretty bad and should be replaced. Attempted to just replace the rotten parts with 2x4's but turned ugly due to lumber sizes not matching up at all, need to just scrap and do the whole post.

To actually replace the post from the very top would require to undo all the soffits and it would turn into quite a huge job as to take out the soffits I also need to take down the gutters and it ends up turning into a chain reaction of stuff that needs to be taken down first. Depending on how the posts are connected to structure above it may be even more of a job than just removing soffits as they may be fastened from the top before the rest of the roof was built. The above part can be accessed through the attic but I have blown insulation now so last thing I want to do is go in there. I'm thinking of just cutting the post maybe a few inches below the soffits, then cut the new post to that height, and just hammer it in while pushing the old post away. This will also prevent needing to build a temp post. I guess it's a bit of a lazy way of doing it, but is there a proper way I can then secure the new post to the stub left from the old post? I obviously don't want it to just sit on it. Can I just use wood glue? Maybe a couple screws in an angle? I suppose I can also use a flat bracket where I just screw directly. Just wondering if there may be an idea I'm missing.

I am debating on replacing the other 2 as well using this method so that they'll all be the same age and the tops will all look the same. The other two are in somewhat rough shape too. If the top transition does not look right I can then do something decorative and repeat it on all 3 posts. Using PT lumber so I'll probably have to leave it unpainted till next year as well right?

On the other hand I may just bite the bullet and take down all the soffit but I'm hoping to avoid that if I can.

Open to other suggestions on a decent way to fix this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Red, post a picture--so we can see if a larger post would look right---

the only safe way to splice a post,that I know of, is to cut a half lap into the old post and a matching lap onto the new one.---then wrap the column with some 1x or 2x stock--

this makes for a rather wide post----

You can't have a splice that can 'hinge' and buckle---

Pressure treated posts are soaking wet---they shrink and twist as they dry---best to use dried PT posts----this could take a while---and you may loose a post or two during the drying process----those things can turn into a cork screw---

There are better carpenters on here than me---let's see what others offer as a solution---Mike---

#3 ·
you will need to find out how much above soffit the post extends to connect at beam. if the beam is at the top of soffit level you can just cut old post as high as you can get it and add new right under it. you will need to support roof with temp brace while extracting old post, kind of hard to do with buoyancy of soffit material but if you can somehow locate beam then you could put a flat 2x plate up tight and moosh soffit up until it holds. better to clear soffit out of way for the support though.

if you do cut old post and add new under it use a post bracket to connect the two and then for aesthetics wrap in 1x later to cover the connector. even consider a connector at base to lock post into concrete and then wrap there as well with 1x and base cap( cpvc at the bottom so it does not rot)

#4 · (Edited)
I was thinking about the twisting too... is there a way I can prevent that? They don't make non PT 4x4s for some reason. Am I better off buying and leaving them in my garage and doing this next year? Or what if I attach 2x4 braces going between all posts and take them off next year? Will that be enough to stop the twisting? I'd put some at the bottom and some at top.

It looks like there is also particle board above the soffit so it will make it very hard to even see the beam. Though I guess I can probably take that out, it does not really serve much purpose I don't think. I guess I will end up having to take the soffits down to do this right. Though the twisting is another issue I'm wondering about, I kind of thought of that after.

I suppose another thing I could do is cut a short piece of the 4x4 and only repair the bottom portion, which is really the part that's the worst. Then do it properly another year. There's only a few weeks of summer left so don't want to get into a big outside project in case I run into issues.

Here's more pics:

The "fix" I did, not happy with it so want to just replace the whole post.

#5 ·
Actually can I use cedar instead of PT lumber? I noticed they do sell cedar posts at HD as I went again today for something else and decided to double check the lumber section for non PT posts. That would probably solve the twisting issue right, and I'd be able to paint them right away?

#6 · (Edited)
I decided for now to just fix the part that was really bad, All done!

Turns out it was not active load bearing, when I cut it with the circular saw, and did my second pass on the other side, the piece was just loose and easily knocked over and the post was just hanging, so I just wedge the new piece in and got the hole at I drilled to line up with the screw in the concrete and then I put a ton of glue and metal brackets. I had a feeling because the whole post was really loose from the work I had previously attempted to do and the two 2x4's I put were basically not even holding anything. These are probably more load bearing in winter when there's a 100's of pounds of snow on top.

Will do for now I guess but down the line I probably do have to replace the posts completely.

Also, do earwigs eat wood? That post was filled with them. I will caulk the bottom of the posts so nothing can get under them.

#8 ·
Yeah was wondering what I could do for that, where would I find that stuff, is it in a spray can like foam?

Also is cedar good for replacement instead of the PT posts? I can't see why not but just want to be sure. If PT is what I need I will be sure to get a bunch ahead of time so they can dry for a year or two. Maybe I can clamp them together or something so they don't twist. Even the existing posts are kind of twisted, so if I'm going to replace them may as well try to avoid that from happening.

Though with the current fix I'm good for a while now, the other ones are in somewhat rough shape but not rotten like that bottom part was. I think because of it being at the corner and the fact that my gutters are clogged and I get a water fall there when it rains (I have to fix that too) it probably rotted out. Once I'm done painting these my next project is cleaning out the gutters.

I have a bad habit of waiting last minute for these things then there's 2 weeks of summer left and it's panic time. :laughing:

#10 ·
Second on lap joint, min. 16" and 3 recessed bolts. I would reinforce the joint with 1/4" steel tube (find it or have them made) over the joint, then cover the entire post with pvc 1x stock with some base trim. I'd definitely use post bases.
The joint would be high with enough original post left for bracing with an supported header or triangle (will need room for cutting the joint - clearance for saw, chisel, drill, etc).
Ease the edge and whatever else for the steel tube to fit snug, then bolt again. Recess or glue plug for the bolt heads and nuts on the trim.

#11 ·
Actually was wondering what I could cover these with, where would I get PVC in flat sheets? I'm only aware of it in pipe format. Though, I could maybe slide a PVC pipe right over the post and it would also make it round and look nicer. When I replace the posts I can maybe experiment with something like that. Though anything I cover it with is only going to hide the fact that it may be rotting inside should moisture find it's way in... so may be best to just paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.