Replacing Porch Railings & Balusters - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing porch railings & balusters

My painted wooden column bases and railings on my front porch are rotting. The porch never gets any direct sunlight. I guess treated pine would be the most logical wood to use for replacements, but I don't want to have to wait months for the wood/treatment to dry before I paint. I want to be able to paint right away so my porch matches my siding.

I've considered whitewood for the railings, but I haven't been able to find any reasonably priced alternatives to the square 2x2 pressure treated balusters. Any ideas for an economical material that will hold up in weather and allow me to prime/paint right away?

Advertisement

terrier26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

It depends what you have in the area. If you can get yellow pine that would work and leave a space away from concrete........or maybe cypress.......either will take paint well

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 628

How about a picture? If you really only want to do this one time why not go with vinyl or fiberglass coloums and composite railings?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #4

Big difference in up front cost. Cost for 110 30 inch vinyl balusters is about triple cost of wood. I'm traveling for the next couple of days but I will post a couple of pics when I return home.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody4249 View Post
It depends what you have in the area. If you can get yellow pine that would work and leave a space away from concrete........or maybe cypress.......either will take paint well
How well do you think the yellow pine will weather the elements? I'm especially concerned about having over 100 untreated 2x2 balusters.