Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Replacing picture rail

I am currently redecorating the entrance hall to my home. One of the task I have is to replace the picture rail that was obviously ripped out in the seventies.

However one of the walls is curved as it moves round the base of the stairs. What is the best way to curve the picture rail round the wall?

lec876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Aussie Battler

Replacing picture rail

Most of the picture rail you buy is pretty flexable Lec876.

imported_Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #3

Smile

Replacing picture rail

I had to put some molding around a radius that I think it would have cracked if I forced it to bend. I a long piece at about a 45deg angle only supporting the ends with about 1/4 pound of weight taped in the center. I continued on the other projects I was doing for the next week. After which the trim had taken a partial bend naturally I cut out the length I need from the center (it had the sharper bend) and I easily shaped it onto the contour and nailed it in place. Make sure you lay the trim so the outside of the bend is down. I had originally thought I was going to have to lightly wet it down and some types of wood might have to be. Some trim profiles may need to be held square buy nailing the ends to lumber pieces the will force it lay square.
MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #4

Replacing picture rail

Thankyou for the replys.

The picture rail had a bit of flex in but but no way near enough to go round the corner.

I tried the weight method with more sucess and while this would have been fine of a more gentle curve it was not sufficient here.

I even tried soaking the wood before adding the weights.

In the end I decided to steam the wood and came up with the following.

I took a piece of plastic drainpipe and a steam wallpaper stripper. I stuck the sream pipe in one and and roughly sealled with some rags. I put a section of the picture rail in the other end and blocked this with rags. I allowed the steam er to run for one full tank of water (approx 90 min). As soon as it finished I took the rail out and bent round a template I had made previously and secured using clamps.

I left this for a week, simply until I was ready. The curve did spring back a little but it still worked fine.

Be warned that the pipe need to be on the floor as the pastic goes soft with the steam.
lec876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:31 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Replacing picture rail

Glad to here you found a way to get it done!
MgMopar is offline   Reply With Quote