Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing part of exterior wall

Due to damage and rot, as well as discovering that the brick veneer has an inadequate footing under it, I am removing a 16 foot section of an exterior wall, pouring a footer and then framing a new wall which will be finished ultimately with siding. I'll have a temporary support wall holding up the attic and roof in order to dig and pour a proper footer to the 30" frost line. Then I'll frame the replacement wall and finish it with sheathing, house wrap, and siding. My question is after pouring the footer, how long should I let it cure before putting my wall on it?

Wayne Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Concrete achieves the majority of its strength in the first 3 days with the curve leveling off at full cure of about 28 days.

I understand that you are going to shore up the existing ceiling and roof while you replace 16 foot of exterior wall. My question is, what is the wall construction going to be above the footing but still below the ground?

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Concrete achieves the majority of its strength in the first 3 days with the curve leveling off at full cure of about 28 days.

I understand that you are going to shore up the existing ceiling and roof while you replace 16 foot of exterior wall. My question is, what is the wall construction going to be above the footing but still below the ground?
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's a strange situation...we have a room that was created from an old porch several owners ago. When they closed it in, they built a wall on top of the outside edge of the porch deck, then evidently decided that it would look nicer if it was bricked. Unfortunately, there's no proper footing for the brick veneer wall. Plus they just tied it onto the framing members of the new wall in several places. Due to rot and water damage, we had to remove the entire floor system and the outside wall behind the brick veneer. We hired an engineer and he advised pouring a concrete wall that went from the frost line up to above ground, then framing the new floor system and wall on that. That's our plan, but we're getting rid of the brick veneer. So to answer your question, the new framed deck and wall will end up about 12" or so above ground.

Last edited by Wayne Perry; 11-12-2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: For clarification
Wayne Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Architect

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Perry View Post
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's a strange situation...we have a room that was created from an old porch several owners ago. When they closed it in, they built a wall on top of the outside edge of the porch deck, then evidently decided that it would look nicer if it was bricked. Unfortunately, there's no proper footing for the brick veneer wall. Plus they just tied it onto the framing members of the new wall in several places. Due to rot and water damage, we had to remove the entire floor system and the outside wall behind the brick veneer. We hired an engineer and he advised pouring a concrete wall that went from the frost line up to above ground, then framing the new floor system and wall on that. That's our plan, but we're getting rid of the brick veneer. So to answer your question, the new framed deck and wall will end up about 12" or so above ground.
Sounds like you are on the right track.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cure, footer, frame wall