Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing panes in a Pella window

Hi guys!

Just had a little accident with my kitchen window and I have a broken pane. Obviously I am going to have to order a replacement double pane assembly but once I get that, I don't know exactly where to begin.

I can get the window frame out of the jamb but upon first glance, I can't see exactly how this type of window frame comes apart to replace the glass.

Is there anyone familiar with this style of Pella window that can offer me some advice on how to get it apart and back together?

Thanks!

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #2

Most double pane glass is removed and installed from the outside. There should be a flange that surrounds the glass on the exterior. This flange is pressed in. There is a tool to remove it but it can be done with a kitchen knife. You will need to pry the flange out from the glass side. Once the flanges are removed, the glass can be removed by pressing it out from the inside. A razor blade may be needed to break the seal between the wood and glass.

Mop in Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

newer windows do not have the option to replace the panes. The entire window sash must be replaced. any new energy efficient window is like this. Some like Anderson can only be done by the manufacturer reps while others like Marvin have windows that simply pop out for replacement.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #4

Glass generally has a 20 yr warranty, contact Pella. Andersen would gladly send you a replacement, not sure about Pella.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #5

Well, the window is about 8 years old. The glass probably has a warranty against leakage of the panes but I can't see them replacing it because of my clumsiness.

It appears to come apart, it's just a matter of knowing how to take it apart without bending the metal...probably like mop said.

Thanks for your replies
Old 09-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #6

Well, I took the window to a glass shop that specializes in windows and they told me that this window is about the one and only style that they wouldn't recommend taking apart. They said that with the way it's assembled and the glue used, it's very difficult to take the frame apart without damaging it. They just recommended that I but a complete new window assembly from the dealer so that's what I had to do.

I should know better than to try to clean my windows Next time I'll just leave them dirty