Replacing Old Basement Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing old basement windows

I have 3 windows I need to replace. Two of them have rotting sills and the other is old and lets in bugs. See attached photos. I was given a quote of around $900 to replace all three with Silverline 5900. Are these quality windows? Whats better? Is this a DIY job or something best left to pros?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing old basement windows-img_5570.jpg   Replacing old basement windows-img_5571.jpg   Replacing old basement windows-img_5574.jpg   Replacing old basement windows-img_5576.jpg   Replacing old basement windows-img_5572.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by gruntman; 05-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.
gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,068

If that's a living space in basement, I would ask if you had egress (escape) in case of fire, other than those windows. (Too small and too high)

Lots of work, rebuilding sills and jambs. Did anyone bring this up? Be safe, G

Advertisement

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It's an office. There is a door in the back that could be used for escape. Right now the windows are shut tight with paint. It would be nice to be able to let in some fresh air.

2 of the 3 windows are going to be surrounded by a well. They both have rot on the sill. The other gets pretty good light. Is there a better choice than Silverline?
gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

One option that's used often in my area is glass block. Several styles available. They can be purchased pre-made to the size of the window so all you do is mortar them in. (Buy a $5 morter bag to squeeze in the morter around the perimeter). Or you can buy the glass blocks individually and morter them together yourself. you can get a vent insert to crank open for fresh air as well.

Mosy DIY stores carry them or will order what you want. For pricing, in my area a basement window ranges from $55 to $85 for the DIY'er. Around $150 installed. Prices will vary depending but that's the option I'd go with.

Worth looking into IMO.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

tough job!
it will be a one big job.
thanks for all our contractors to handle all this dirty and tough jobs.

mortizallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Its not that bad of a job really the hardest part will be getting all the rot out but from their its pretty stight forward,so yes a DIYer could do it.As far as the type window I have seen them but dont know alot about them or who makes them.Some company names are just a subsituary of another company or a bigger company.Sort of like antifreez their are only two plants that make the stuff but how many differnt barnds do you find in the store.I put grandview in my home and when I compared them to Andersons they were neraly the same so that part is on you unless someone else has a opinion of that company.Personally for that size window I like the ones that slide side to side instead of tilting in but again your choice your house

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote