Replacing Old Andersen Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing old Andersen windows

I have 30 yr old Andersen wood windows in a home I am remodeling. The sizes are not compatible with current Andersen product. The exterior of the house is brick and the wood brickmold of the windows is right up against the brick.

Is there any resource or conversion from the exterior brick to brick measurements to find out the rough openings? Or, should I pull the interior casing off to expose the studs? There are many windows of different sizes and I'd rather not tear up the insides until I am ready to replace. The house is currently rented and I want to order windows ahead of the renters lease end.

I might have been inclined to buy Andersen to replace them if the sizes were the same even though there are many better products on the market. I assume when I do determine the size, it will not be the standard size for other window manufactures either. I prefer aluminum clad over wood windows, but will opt for Solaris vinyl because of what will probably be a non standard size.

Advertisement

jackoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

when I replace my windows I ran into the same problem and was told that windows are now made to conform to codes.Which means I could not just replace the small window I had in bedrooms and such because they did not conform.I ended up buying larger window and making a larger opening.On the brick side it took some doing since a lentel had to be put back in.I really didn't have to go by code since in my area they don't have any on renovations but one it was the only sizes they had and two the reasons for the code sounded good to me (a person with full fire fighting gear must be able to get through the window was the quick interpretation I got)Oh the vinyl is going to give you more options and a better seal then the aluminum

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

The only problem that you could run into is if the interior framing is set back from the exterior brick.
With Anderson the window unit dimension and the unit height of there double hung should be the same as your brick opening. so if the window size is the same as the brick opening you will be OK. or you will have to modify the opening. But have fun getting the nailing flange to go behind the brick. Pearla, Eagle, Marvin have a nailing flange that is more forgiven for this type of install. there is also a clip system for this very type of install. Good luck I hope I understood and answered your question BOB

Last edited by buletbob; 06-19-2008 at 03:59 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Are you saying the Andersen windows will give a better seal because they are vinyl clad or the vinyl windows have a better seal? It seems like a misnomer because the actual seal is separate from the window. This is where the sash contacts the frame. In fact, the seals are made of pliable vinyl on three, (Andersen, Aluminum clad and the vinyl) and look identical. The only difference is there are three full seals seals on the vinyl window and only two on the Andersen which one is just a flap.

What is ironic is a couple windows in this house are double hungs and the Andersen sash is not covered with any vinyl. It is painted with some kind of poly type paint.

None the less, I am still looking for some kiind of conversion to determine rough openings from the wood Andersen windows.
jackoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

The only fool proof conversion is to go out and take careful field measurements. brick opening, rough opening of framing, and to make sure the brick is in line with the 2x framing on the inside. Then check your window catalog for sizes.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

from what I saw when putting mine in and from what I have read the vinyl no matter who made it give a better seal around the window itself (the Glass) and the framing due to less expansion and contraction so it more of a weather tight seal.I put Grandview windows in because from the cutout at the shop I got mine from you could not tell the difference from an Anderson except for the price sticker.As far as a conversion table I cant help with that but personally if I could find a good price on window and that lease was up in the not to distant future I would get what I needed and then do what you need to inside and out at the same time then your not so concerned about it

Advertisement

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote