Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing a Load-Bearing beam..How to support walls above

My wife and I bought our first house 2 years ago in Lititz P.A. and its about 120 years old. Its a fixer-uper and we knew that but now its looking like more of a Falling-Downer. Recently we discovered we have powder post beetles as well as brown cubical wood rot. They both reeked havic on my house..I'm in the process of replacing a few floor joists now. In the back of my mind I know I HAVE to replace the Load-bearing beam.
How do i do this with out the walls above falling?
My basement is 7' high and has a dirt(red clay)floor. The beam spans 16' sitting a brick wall/foundation as well as one post. It's 7 5/8" tall and 2" wide. My beams are 24" o.c. The beam supports 2 load bearing walls(1st/2nd floor) inside the house..not outside wall. And BEST OF ALL..my gas boiler sits right under this beam so i have litte room to place any jacks or supports.
How do I support the weight of 2 plaster walls so i can replace this beam.
p.s. I work on cars and I can rebuild an engine in my sleep...This house stuff is still new to me so forgive me if i dont understand some of the terms you might use
~Dave

RatRodPontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

First - I wouldn't make plans yet until you fully understand the nature of the beast (or beatle and rot) and how to stop the infestation / rot and prevent future infestations and rot from occuring:

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/...ostbeetles.htm

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/wood-rot.shtml

From personal experience: call in a pro for consultation and examination and assesment of the area first - before you rip off walls and make plans.

Talk, learn, discuss - start with knowledge.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #3

Knowledge is Power Snav..your right...pest guys came over and "took care of" the beetles...problem with that is I'm seeing what i belive are "exit"holes in other places around then house mostly in the flooring...I have a bad feeling I DO have a bigger problem with these beetles then first thought...thats another post for another day..Like I said she's turning out to be a Falling-Downer...just doing what i can o stay ahead of it
RatRodPontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
DIY staff

To get any kind of good advice we need pictures---of the house from the outside--and the cellar.
Snav (12-21-2011)

Tags
beam, load bearing, wall support