Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replacing large window for a smaller one

Our kitchen has 2 windows, one is very large and is a strange height from the floor so we cannot expand our countertops as its too low. How difficult will it be to replace this window with a smaller one. Our home is wood construction with vinyl siding.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

its not hard at all basicly you would remove some of the siding around the window and the remove the nails around the flang frame in the new window to size put on your weather strip and nail it in place then refit the siding and finish the inside with whatever your useing.Just make sure you get it plum and square put a good header in and blocking since it will be smaller the the old.Two window should take more then a day half that if your handy

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

it should only take a day or two to do this. but there are always variables that seem to pop up and complicate things. elec. and plumbing in the walls comes to mind. but you should have no trouble putting in a SMALLER window, the REAL fun will be the siding. heh heh

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

If your cutting down on the size of the window mostly the header will not need to be changed, mark your rough opening on the existing header and install your studs under the existing header. then measure down and install your sill. and then your sill studs.
you might be looking at residing the back of the house depending on how articulate your are. because of Fading. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Well I am not super handy but I have a couple of handy friends that I can try and persuade. I also worked as a labourer for a couple of months fixing leaky condos, the only thing I did was replace siding so I have experience with that.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Vinyl siding will make it pretty easy. However, you may have to purchase a box of replacement siding to fill in the area. Other than that, I'd say that it is a very do-able DIY project, unless you are someone that is "all thumbs"...

Good luck on the project.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote