Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing lally columns: Help!

Hi,

Recently purchased a 1926 Farmhouse outside of Boston. Had structural engineer do an assessment before I started my planned (non-structural) renovations. From his assessment, the main support beam (6x6) is solid but the house has some minor sagging. Given the old foundation, he suggested replacing the 2 existing lally columns with 3 new ones (on new footings) to reduce the spans. (House footprint is 24x24, foundation of concrete block, 1.75 story, standard platform framing, pitched roof )

So, couple of questions:

1-He mentioned footings should be 4 ft deep. Assuming the depth is due to frost line? And is this depth correct? Reason I ask is that most articles & discussions mention footings that are much more shallow.

2-From my reading, doesn't seem to have consensus if pad should be level to or above the floor line. Advantages/disadvantages to either? (I do intend to finish the basement someday, but I anticipate having to box in the lallys)

3-Same goes with a single or multi-phase footing pour. From what I've read, a multi-phase pour can help reduce any lally settlement/movement issues due to continued foundation/ground settlement. Advantages/disadvantages to either?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jen in MA

navi_jen is offline   Reply With Quote