Replacing I-Beams And All Joists On Main Floor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing I-Beams and all joists on main floor

Hi, my parents row house had a basement fire that weakened two I-beams and charred over 60 percent of the joists. Engineer recommended tear down and rebuild from foundation or repair by replacing I-beams, joists and sheathing for main floor. As well as ripping out all drywall, dry ice and seal all remaining structure.

Question, what is the best way to go on this?

Advertisement

Qdmazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdmazo
Hi, my parents row house had a basement fire that weakened two I-beams and charred over 60 percent of the joists. Engineer recommended tear down and rebuild from foundation or repair by replacing I-beams, joists and sheathing for main floor. As well as ripping out all drywall, dry ice and seal all remaining structure.

Question, what is the best way to go on this?
Higher a professional framing crew that specializes in this. This is not a DIYer project. I've been doing fire jobs for twenty years. Have done exactly what you are describing. It's not easy or ike framing new. It is very dangerous.

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 680

If the insurance companys paying for it I would 100 % go for knocking it down and starting over. It would be faster in most cases, built to current codes, everthing would be more level then it was, no chance of smoke smell.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I agree with tear dfown but insurance does not, they insist on repair...not sure what options I have here?
Qdmazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdmazo
Thanks, I agree with tear dfown but insurance does not, they insist on repair...not sure what options I have here?
Then what's your question?
They only pay to repair, so have someone come in and repair it.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,604

yes Imean no disrespect but if they want it repaired ...ask for there preferred company to do this....ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

Make sure you keep a copy of the engineer's report and bird-dog the framers. And talk to the engineer, now that the report is out. Pick his brain and see what he had in mind. Ask him if he's recommending that all charred members be replaced, or if sistering is allowed, and if so, do the charred members have to be scraped/blasted of all charred wood prior to sistering to "prove out" structural integrity (this is important). I've seen some top notch repair work, and cringe-worthy repair work. Sometimes framers will unknowingly neglect the scraping/blasting step, and 30 years of seasonal expansion and contraction later, the charred wood has rubbed and disintegrated and you're left with a loose connection.

And do posterity a solid by taking a sharpie and writing the date of the fire and repair, and the name of the engineer/firm that designed the repair, on a prominent piece of one of the new members. And save the engineer's report. It will save headaches at every real estate transaction going forward.

Advertisement

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote