Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

Share |

replacing a garage door with a wall and window

I have a garage that I would like to make an office. What is the proper way for making an exterior wall so no water leaks through?

stewart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

If you have a standard driveway that slopes to the street, you don't have to do too much. You can frame right on the concrete. If you want insurance, lay a course of block accross the opening and frame on that.
Permits will probably be required.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
stewart7 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Might change your tax assessment.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

my garage is gutted right now and i have notice the framing is built on a foundation about 1 to 2 inches high. can i just fill this spot where the garage door was with cement to match the foundation? also the water runs toward the house not away
stewart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

In many areas a garage conversion requires a building permit to ensure the space is appropriate for conversion to living space - safety, proper usage, setbacks, etc. Suggest to ensure you have investigated this before moving forward with actual work.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart7 View Post
my garage is gutted right now and i have notice the framing is built on a foundation about 1 to 2 inches high. can i just fill this spot where the garage door was with cement to match the foundation? also the water runs toward the house not away
You need to correct the water issue or the conversion will be water logged.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

I did almost the same thing in my home, only I put up the wall, no window, two feet in from the door. I used the two foot space for storage from the outside and didn't have to worry about any tax changes or permits. I removed the wall before selling the house and ended up with a nicely decorated garage for the new owner.
Otherbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

Check to see if you are required to use an impact window or not. You may be able to use a regular window and apply storm shutters (this is usually the cheaper way to go). One thing you want to make sure of is that you seal all around the window with a good caulking like polyurethane or silicone depending on your substrate. Window leaks can cause a lot of trouble and they can be costly to repair. If you are going to construct your wall out of wood, use a good window wrap around the whole opening before installing your window. Good luck on your project.

Last edited by All Glass; 05-15-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: mis-spelled word
All Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Kerry-All Pouch creator

Send a message via MSN to Woodsmith

What is the driveway surface next to the garage made of? If it's soft (like gravel or clay), you could dig a little trench and put some kind of small diameter pipe in (with holes drilled in it to catch the water) to divert any runoff. If it's asphalt, it still might be possible.
Woodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart7 View Post
Call your building department and ask them because they are the only ones who can tell you what your codes are. You will also need permits and inspections to do what you want anyway.

Where I'm from you can't just frame on top of the slab. We always install a course of block to the height of the existing block because you have to have a minimum of 6" above grade to the framing/siding. Building a wall right on top of the slab is not code or a good thing to do no matter if your driveway is pitched away or into the slab.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #11

Have you given any thought about electric and/or plumbing?

Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote