Replacing A Garage Door With Concrete Block Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing a garage door with Concrete block wall

My new home has a few problems which I want to address. Do to the style of the home the garage is under the first level and requires you to drive off the street down an extremely steep hill to get in. After some debate I know that I will never use the garage given its current condition so I have decided to turn the old garage into an office. I want to do this project in 2 steps I want to first construct a wall blocking off the old garage door opening. I will later construct a car port flat with the street by filling in the steep hill area with fill and topping it off with a nice concrete pad.
What kind of kind of preparation should I take with the wall construction?
The eventual weight of what I will be doing should I add to the design to provide reinforcement?
I am capable person and will be seeking local experts for much of the secondary part of the project, and mainly I am looking for a foundation of knowledge to start. More or less my doís and donítís.

Advertisement

Domenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

You're talking about adding a foundation wall. One that will eventually press quite a lot of weight against the outside of it. From the dirt on it, water in the soil, the weight of the slab on it and any vehicles. That's a LOT of potential weight. Hire a foundation company and have it engineered properly. Otherwise you risk the wall failing inward, the slab under it collapsing because it lacks underpinning, leaks and a lot of potentially very expensive complications.

At the very least I'd hire a engineer to review the existing setup and original permitted plans and then create new plans for the wall.

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Thank you I don't want my wall coming in on me so I will most certainly take this advice. How much would you expect an estimate to cost?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

There's no way to make an estimate online. All costs vary by market, it depends on where you're located. Then there's the condition of the site (how it's built now). Your best place to start is going to be the local permitting office and local foundation or concrete companies. From there you should be able to get in touch with a company that can prepared a plan engineered for the requirements. From that you could then shop around for who'd be doing the work.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

I was hoping to have access to this room by august 1st and the 2nd part of the project was expected to come 2 years.

I would like to amend the project to something I can complete in a DIY environment. I would like to put up some kind of wall to block in the garage. If I were to put up a free standing wall with no weight pushing from either side what would be the best material to do this concrete block or red brick. On the inside I will put up drywall.

I greatly appreciate all the help and advice.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Anything you put up now would just have to get ripped down when you have a permanent wall built. It you're fine with the materials being ripped out later then a simple stud wall with drywall would likely work fine. Even with leaving the garage door in place. Or remove the door and put a framed wall in it's place, siding on the outside, drywall on the inside. It would seem like a big waste of time and money to clad the exterior with brick if you know it's all going to get ripped down later.

Advertisement