Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing Fascia

My Fascia behind the gutters is rotten. Im looking to replace it with a non-wood product so they dont rot out in the future. What can I get at home depot or lowes to replace them with? thanks in advance for the help

golfgod04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Replacing Fascia

Vinyl lumber. The price may make you thing twice about it.
It would be cheaper in most cases to replace the wood and have someone wrap it in aluminum coil stock.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Replacing Fascia

I didnt think vinyl lumber could hold up a gutter. I live in New england and we can get a lot of snow and ice in the winter in the gutters and I didnt think the vinyl lumber could handle that weight load.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
JOATMON

Replacing Fascia

Wood facia should last a long time assuming your rain gutters are installed correctly and you have the proper drip edge.....if your gutters are nailed directly to the facia and there is no drip edge (L shaped metal flashing), then no wonder the rotted out.

I'm not an expert on the colder climates and roofs....but don't you also need something called an ice damn?

And....when you pull off that facia....be prepared to have some bad rafter ends....I replaced about 60' of the facia on my roof a few years ago and I had some of the rafter ends that were so bad that a 16d nail would push all the way in by hand....so be prepaired to replace a few of them.

Also....when you put everything back together....prime and paint the facia first...all sides.....first, it's easier....second....you will be able to seal of the wood better....no bare spots behind other wood. Do the same for your rafter tips.....(I assume they have a word for them)....after you nail it in place....give it another coat of exterior paint.

Your gutter needs to go under the drip edge....that way the water does not have a path between the gutters and facia.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Replacing Fascia

If you use hidden gutter hangers or gutter screws, not gutter nails the vinyl will work.

PS There called rafter tails.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Replacing Fascia

hi, ya, the wood fascia is definitely old and thats why its rotting. The things that you see on DIY shows for cutters to prevent ice buildup, keep out leaves and all that do not work. Pine Needles still get in there and when snow melts or you get rain int he winter, the whole in those guards for the gutter still let water in and it freezes and still builds up ice in the gutters. I have composite decking for my stairs and on my deck, I didnt know if there was a wood like that, that can be used for fascia.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
JOATMON

Replacing Fascia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you use hidden gutter hangers or gutter screws, not gutter nails the vinyl will work.

PS There called rafter tails.
Thank you sir.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
Mod

Replacing Fascia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Your gutter needs to go under the drip edge....that way the water does not have a path between the gutters and facia.
+1 on that.

"Vinyl Lumber" is an oxymoron.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Replacing Fascia

I've only seen one type of gutter guard that will keep out pine needles.
I found them at Home Depot. There a modifacation of the old ones with the 1/4 round holes in them that never worked. The newer style has what looks like a fine nylon mesh attached to it. I installed them on a house that I had to clean the gutters 3 times a year on. After a full year I went back to check them and there may have been a hand full in 200 ft. of gutter.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #10

Replacing Fascia

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod04 View Post
My Fascia behind the gutters is rotten. Im looking to replace it with a non-wood product so they dont rot out in the future. What can I get at home depot or lowes to replace them with? thanks in advance for the help
The WHY is the issue here. Why is that Fasica board rotten. need to address the WHY before any repair in done.
So its one or or a combination.

A. fascia not being painted and maintained

B. Roof edge and gutter freezes and get ice and water under drip edge into back of fascia board

C. Gutter hung wrong and backs up in heavy rain and backs up under/into fascia board.

Just to re-cap others here. Fascia boards that are kept up in painting will last 50 years or more. But the Fascia is NOT repainted because most painters/home owners don't take the gutters down to paint all of the uncapped fascia. This being the average case capping with Aluminium over the fascia stops this problem IF...The capping is tucked under the drip edge.

The other catalyst here is if the capped fascia is NOT tucked up under the drip edge and or the drip edge is not hitting center in your gutter then rotting occurs again.

So keep it simple the issue is NOT getting a non rotting board. Just tear off gutter. Tear off fascia check rafter edges. Sister them id ends are rotten so new fascia board can be installed . Seal knew fasica board. Cap with Aluminium ans re-install gutter.

At end product.

1. New fascia board installed and capped
2. Roof drip edge needs to hit center of gutter
3. Rehang gutter

Should last your lifetime if all is done properly..
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

Replacing Fascia

fascia is not capped with aluminum, thats why it rotted.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!

Replacing Fascia

the cpvc vinyl lumber is great when painted white but in most cases cannot be painted a dark color because it will expand when hot and dark colors attract heat. this may not be as much of an issue in the northern states but still could be? for about the last 9 years I have used pressure treated dry 1x material for all of the fascia boards on the additions/ houses I've worked on. it is instantly paintable, no need to wait for it to dry/shrink like normal pressure treated lumber and will most likely never rot. It still is curly and cupped ,warped,bowed etc.. just like any wood but is a worry free way of getting long term fascia on a house. no need to pre prime but it would not hurt to do so.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote