Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing exterior hand rail

I have a few concrete steps leading up to my front door. The old hand rails are really rusty and wobbly, and I accidentally broke one as I grabbed it to break my fall. Anyway, where can I get new railing? I checked Home Depot, but they didn't really have a selection. Do I need to go to a specialty shop for it? Also, is there anything complicated about the installation? I figure I just have to take the old ones, stick the new ones in place and maybe fill in the holes so they won't be so wobbly.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. If this belongs somewhere else, let me know and I'll delete it and post it there.

JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
I have a few concrete steps leading up to my front door. The old hand rails are really rusty and wobbly, and I accidentally broke one as I grabbed it to break my fall. Anyway, where can I get new railing? I checked Home Depot, but they didn't really have a selection. Do I need to go to a specialty shop for it? Also, is there anything complicated about the installation? I figure I just have to take the old ones, stick the new ones in place and maybe fill in the holes so they won't be so wobbly.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this post. If this belongs somewhere else, let me know and I'll delete it and post it there.
Metal railings are generally custom made for each specific setting. Are you looking for components to weld together?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

No, I just want to replace what I've got. It doesn't even have to be iron. Just something that looks similar to what I've got that's prefab or something that I can assemble (not weld).
Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
No, I just want to replace what I've got. It doesn't even have to be iron. Just something that looks similar to what I've got that's prefab or something that I can assemble (not weld).
Try the Yellow Pages.
You might post where you live. Someone might know a place in your area.
Check out Hometime. They just had a show on about railings where you could buy sections and cut them to fit. They could also be used for handrails as they could be inclined.
It was the "Workshop" renovation.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
The Home Depot near my house actually does have wrought iron railing. Pretty much your run-of-the-mill basic stuff, so it might not be what you need.

How firm are you on just replacing what's there?

Our church's men recently removed some horrible wrought iron railing & built a treated one for a needy neighbor lady. It'll get stained next summer after the lumber dries.

We could have made it a lot fancier, but it's a heckuva lot stronger than the wrought iron, and the price for materials was about the same.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

That's a good idea about the wood, but I don't think my HOA will allow it. I didn't know that Home Depot carried iron railing though. I didn't see it on their site. Maybe I'll check that out.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
That's a good idea about the wood, but I don't think my HOA will allow it. I didn't know that Home Depot carried iron railing though. I didn't see it on their site. Maybe I'll check that out.
Gotcha.

At our nearby HD, the wrought-iron railing is in the back corner - in the general area of the siding & fencing.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8

Support your local 'metal fabricator.' They're in every yellow pages.
Dwoodsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #9

For anyone building a wood guard or handrail, here is the Code--- Fig.24, 30, gripable=32A+B. and handrail returns fig. 33; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf

Check with your local Building Department for other requirements because of the liability involved at the front door, accessible to the public. Some areas won't allow horizontal guards as children love to climb on them.

Joey, check your HOA, to see if they have any particulars...

Gary
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #10

You can bring your damaged piece to a metal fabricator/railing company for a template and they will either match the pattern exactly or come close to it depending on how old it is. Have them prime it and you can paint to your existing railing.

Now in order to re-install it you will have to remove the old posts that are imbedded in the concrete by using a hammer drill. Remove old pieces, place new railing in same holes, and hammer metal shims to keep railing level and firm. Mix cement and use some cement dust from your old concrete to blend in color push into holes and apply around posts clean and let set and your done.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote