Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #1

Share |

replacing existing slider

Hey gang,

I would like to replace my existing sliding door with one of larger size. How do I rough the new larger opening, and what in your opinion is the best quality door for the money? i.e. insulating value, mfg quality, smooth operation, etc., etc. I'm located in Long Island, NY. The existing frame is shot and the crickets and spiders LOVE it! Thanks,

RJ

mudpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

I've used Andersen products for 35 years and have always had good results. On Long Island you can get good value for in stock items at Home Depot. For special orders, I use Windowrama. Stick with the 400 series in Andersen.
As you're enlarging the opening, you will need to put in a larger header to carry the extra weight above the new door. If the wall is load bearing, you'll need to build a temporary wall to carry the load until you get the new opening built.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Hey Ron,

thanks a lot! I will post some pictures of the area I plan to do the door. I don't think it's load bearing, but will make sure beforehand. Is there any special way to post pictures to the forum? I would imagine they are file-size limited? Andersens are good from Home Depot? (Just making sure they don't have cheaper mfg for the 'box' stores) And Windowrama for the [custom order] Andersens also?
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #4

At the top of this forum, there's a how to about posting photos.
Ron
Old 08-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

ok cool..thanks. So the Andersens are good from Home Depot? (Just making sure they don't have cheaper mfg for the 'box' stores) And I should use Windowrama for the [custom order] Andersens also?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpaws View Post
ok cool..thanks. So the Andersens are good from Home Depot? (Just making sure they don't have cheaper mfg for the 'box' stores) And I should use Windowrama for the [custom order] Andersens also?
Home Depot carries 2 lines. The 200 series and the 400 series. I would buy the 400 series.
When custom ordering, get price points from a few suppliers and pick the one you want. Home Depot carries white windows, period. And not that many sizes and categories. Everything else is a special order.
Just shop around for the best price.
Ron
Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

Also look at the ratings of the windows
You can get 30% tax credit up to $1500 thru the end of 2010
IF the windows meet energy guidelines
I think it was $10 more per window on the last windows I ordered
I also purchased/ordered 10 windows at once that then qualified for an additional discount from HD
...on top of the 10% coupon I had

Quote:
As of June 1, 2009, windows, doors, and skylights with U-factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) ratings of less than or equal to 0.30 are eligible for a federal tax credit of 30 percent of the product price, up to $1,500
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #8

Alrighty guys...thanks Ron...and Dave! I will be doing this stuff hopefully before this winter. I might even be doing an addition, so the slider install will come in handy then, or be done at a different location behind the house.