Replacing Entire Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Entire Deck

I have a deck off the back of my home that is approaching 20 yrs old. Until last year it has held up fairly well, however, the deck boards are showing their age and since I'm going to replace them, I thought I might as well go ahead and replace the entire structure as well. The current deck is 8-10ft off the ground below and is supported by 4x4 verticals cemented into footers, dimensions are 24ft x 10ft. I'm planning on essentially mirroring the current design, except replacing the 4x4's with 6x6's. My main question is, can I utilize the current footers by cutting the 4x4 off flush, then attaching an anchor bracket to the footer and placing the 6x6's on top of that? If so, any recommendations for the type of post anchor? Without measuring, I'm estimating the footers to be about 12-14 inches in diameter. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

Last edited by newuser; 04-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacing Entire Deck

I wouldn't do that. The cut off wood incased in concrete would have no support value after this long in the ground. And the bearing surface on the surrounding concrete is inadequate.
Burying wood in concrete is such a bad idea on every level.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing Entire Deck

Well, that was not the answer I was looking for, but it was what I expected. Thanks!
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Replacing Entire Deck

I agree with Ron. This will help build the new deck to minimum Code; http://www.lancova.com/deckinfo.pdf
Updated to '09; http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/...eckarticle.pdf

Gary