DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   Replacing Drywall Corner Beads (

jodell8964 03-15-2009 03:40 PM

Replacing Drywall Corner Beads
When replacing drywall sheets, how does one replace corner beads, inside corners or tapered joints? Say a drywall wall sheet has been removed and the ajoining drywall sheet is attached by an inside corner, outside corner (corner bead) or a tapered joint. After the paper tape or corner bead is removed from the joint, there will be a tapered ridge of mud left behind. After the new drywall sheet is attached to the wall, the corner or tapered joints need to be mudded again. Does that residual ridge of mud on the older drywall need to be removed before new joint compound can be applied?? Any advice on this is appreciated. Thank you. :)

Gary in WA 03-15-2009 06:19 PM

Some corners are nailed on, some taped. If you have to re-use a sheet, the old mud may make it harder to finish. With so many drywall sites on the internet, also videos, one can learn to tape and even texture the finish. A search on this forum will give excellent results. Do some basic reading and check back here with any specific questions. Be safe, GBAR

buletbob 03-15-2009 06:31 PM

this is where a good spackler will show his talent, the old tape is usually pulled off if its exposed. and then the spackled joint is spread out about 24" like a regular butt joint. to fan the hump out.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1