Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing deck with composite decking, good or bad?

I am looking to replace the wood floor boards and railings with composite decking materials instead of replacing then with wood which is what my current deck is made now. I know the cost is considerable more for composite materials but I want my deck to last and the maintenance to somewhat low.

What is your opinion on composite decking versus wood decking???

Any help will be great thanks!!!

rjohnson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

I live in south Florida where it is hot, humid and a vacation playground for insects. I have looked at the composite decking, but I personally do not like the appearance or the much higher cost. I still use pressure-treated lumber. My oldest project is a play area that I built when my daughter was 2 years old, so it is right at 20 years old. The wood is still in very solid condition and cleans up nicely with a pressure washer. I have not been very good about using any wood treatments, it gets full exposure to the sun and rain and it survived three hurricanes.

My second oldest project is a spa that I started nearly 15 years ago, but only recently completed the decking. Much of the original pressure-treated lumber was neglected for all of those years and it was still in excellent shape after cleaning with the pressure washer.

Based on my experience in the south Florida climate, pressure treated will last at least 15-20 years. It is my understanding that the formulation for making pressure-treated lumber was changed several years ago and both projects predate any changes. I do not know if the new pressure-treated wood will hold up as well. I have a fence that I built with pressure-treated about 5 years ago. I think I bought the wood about a year after the treatment process was changed. Other than needing some cleaning, the wood looks as good as when I built it.

This has been my experience and your mileage may vary.

David

Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnson84 View Post
I am looking to replace the wood floor boards and railings with composite decking materials instead of replacing then with wood which is what my current deck is made now. I know the cost is considerable more for composite materials but I want my deck to last and the maintenance to somewhat low.

What is your opinion on composite decking versus wood decking???

Any help will be great thanks!!!
Use the search feature on this site and search “composite decking” , you’ll find plenty of info.

You can start with this thread.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/trex-...ointing-10043/