Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing deck boards

Hello all,

I am replacing all the deck boards on a 30x20 deck. I have removed half the boards already. The existing boards are rotten and soft, so when I remove them, the old screws pull right through and are left sticking straight up in all the joists. The joists are in good shape though. I have been zipping off all the old remaining screws with an angle grinder, it goes pretty quickly. My concern is, when I put the new decking boards down, I'm afraid I will be hitting many of the old broken off screws that remain in the joists.I don't want to put unneccessary holes in the new deck boards everywhere. Am I better off shooting the new boards in with ring shank nails??

lisfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Replacing deck boards

Try using one of the newer angle screwing methods (Tiger Claw Clips?) and no screws will show anywhere.

http://www.deckfastener.com/pages/welcome.asp

Last edited by Willie T; 04-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing deck boards

The odds of you hitting the old screws is pretty slim. If worried about it, just shift your screw or nailing pattern over an inch in either direction.

The hidden fastening systems, like those shown, are quite nice.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Replacing deck boards

Is there a significant difference in holding power with ring shank nails vs screws?
lisfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Replacing deck boards

I, personally, would never use nails of any kind in a deck installation. I'd imagine any type nail would eventually raise back out.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Replacing deck boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisfisher View Post
Is there a significant difference in holding power with ring shank nails vs screws?

you will be able to manage insertion better with screws as opposed to nails and avoid board splits better as well especially with the slotted tipped popular deck screws available now. nails have a better shear value but that is about the only thing better IMO.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Replacing deck boards

I learned to build decks with nails and before nail guns (I do feel old at times) but we always put them in at an angle.

I would definitely use weatherproof deck screws now though. Or the hidden fasteners.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote