Replacing Damaged Subfloor - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacing damaged subfloor

Hi all, when my wife and I married we moved into her townhouse. Shortly after that we moved to our new home and rented out the townhouse. Ten years later our renter has moved out. I removed all the carpet and the two dogs that her live-in boyfriend brought into the house have left urine stains that have soaked into the subfloor in the upstairs hallway and one other room has an area that is about 5' by 5' in the middle that is also bad (the edgeing of the plywood is warped at the edge and the pading was stuck to the area. Anyway, I need some advice on replacing this subfloor - it is laid down in multiple sections of varying sizes - are the studs ontop of the sub floor at the wall or can the molding be removed and a section pulled out? There are also areas in the hallway where it looks like the pieces of subfloor were not laid down flush by the original builder and a leveling compound (which is now breaking up was used to level it at the joints. Is this just 3/4 plywood on top of studs? I have so many questions and so few answers. Just a place to start would be helpful. thanks for taking to time the read my wordy post.

Steve

Advertisement

sbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

replacing damaged subfloor

All the walls of the structure are on the subfloor.
You can cut out the bad pieces and replace them. But you will need to install blocking under the unsupported edges of the new subfloor. The original was probably T&G 3/4" ply that was attached by nails and adhesvive. You will need to clean off the joist tops of both adhesive and ply pieces as a lot of the ply will stay attached to the joists.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote