Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Wink

Replacing basement with Wooden Basement

House 100 years old, basement is more of a dungeon with brick. North Dakota country home.

What is everyones opinion on wooden basements. Please back up with facts, we are truely looking for solid wise advice.

Thanks in advance.

Lefte

Lefte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 152

There is tons of information on finishing basements on here and elsewhere. Do some searching and a lot of reading and you will find all that you need.

The first place to start though: Is the basement dry?

pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

Quote:
Please back up with facts, we are truely looking for solid wise advice.
That leaves me out.

Why don't you go to your local building inspection office and tell them what you want to do and maybe after they stop rolling in the floor they can give you some "solid wise advice".
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

Lefte, you mean use wood as the structure, vs the stone foundation that is down there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Lefte, you mean use wood as the structure, vs the stone foundation that is down there.
No, I'd assume that they mean their current foundation is built from wood, not stone, block concrete, masonry, etc...

The last time I worked in N. Dakota, the only allowable options per code was either a poured concrete foundation of pressure treated wood foundation. We had all intentions of building the addition from CMU, but got shut-down on the idea from the bldg. dept. Apparently, wood foundations are quite acceptable and common there.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Tileguy

Say what?Breaks me up, sorry.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Bud http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...od-foundations Sad thing is, they probably only last what, 30 or so years. This just screams throw away homes. Old info from the sister site http://www.contractortalk.com/f4/wooden-basement-8866/
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (10-19-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Tileguy

Had a lot of contact with ND and its inhabitants over the years and this is the first I have ever seen of such a thing. Gives me the willys. I'm still shiver-in and LMAO. I guess if a fire occurs and there is a total loss then it is a real "total loss".

Sorry, I'll try to behave myself.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefte View Post
House 100 years old, basement is more of a dungeon with brick. North Dakota country home.

What is everyones opinion on wooden basements. Please back up with facts, we are truely looking for solid wise advice.

Thanks in advance.

Lefte
Before you get, "solid wise advice", you'll need to be more detailed in what you want. You can't get good advice with a short cryptic post.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sorry everyone,
More details... I have a basement made of brick. The brick basement is over 100 years old. It is decaying and starting to fail. It needs to be fully replaced to include lifting the house digging all the old brick and dirt out to a level of 7 or 8 feet. Drain tile will be placed in the house and out as well. I have the choice of a wooden basement with all the trimmings from a contractor that I trust vs the option of a poured concrete basement. The floor in either one would be 5 inches with fill.

I am looking for the good the bad and the ugly on using a wood basement vs a poured basement. While the majority of the job is NOT a DIY, the finishing etc would be and I am polling this knowledgeable group for history, wisdom and advice. Taking all that into my decision making process to:
A. Spend wisely
B. Not repeat in my lifetime (46 years old).
C. Not cause loss of house value.

Thanks and I hope this answers the questions to the questions, and again I appreciate all you can provide.

Left

Left
Old 10-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Gave you the links. As for bad & ugly, that describes it. Go with block foundation, since it will last as long as concrete, but can be done a lot easier. As for jacking up the home & digging, that right there could send the costs up to thousands of dollars more than you may have budgeted. House moving companies would be the best in getting the home raised and on cribbing.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (10-29-2012)
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

A poured concrete basement will last. I would not consider a wood foundation if it was put in for free.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Lefte, you may be thinking of a Permanent Wood Foundation:

http://woodfoundations.com/
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #14

Initial estimate for full wood replacement basebent and foundation is $37,000 wich I can afford. Poured basement would run upward of $55,000.

Thanks to everyone so far for your input,

Lefte
Old 10-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,002

"Poured basement would run upward of $55,000."

That seems really high. How many estimates have you gotten?

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote