Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

Replacing a basement stairway a few construction questions...

Hi,

I am replacing our basement stairway and have a few questions on construction:

1.) For the stringers, what would be the best way to attach the thrust block or kick plate 2 x 4 to the concrete floor? (when I say thrust block I mean the piece that attaches to the floor and which the notch in the stringer rests upon). I was thinking of using Strong Tie fasteners would that be sufficient? Or should I use one of those .22 nail guns and shoot nails into the board / cement? Or is there a better, more secure method?

2.) Secondly we have the 2x8 joists and I am building the stairs out of 2x12 stringers. Having not cut the stringers yet, I am assuming that when I butt up the stringer to the joists to attach that there will be a protrusion of the underside of the stringer below the joist and I read that this is a no no. Does this matter? If so, what is the best way to attach a 2 x 12 stringer to a 2 x 8 floor joist? I am assuming I will have to attach some kind of a header to the joist so the stringer top end can span the entire header width is this the right way to do it? Would inch plywood be good or is there another way I should do it? This was not an issue for the old stairs because the old stringers were of 2 x 10 material.

3.) Do I need any studs between floor and stringers to support the stringers mid way through their span?

4.) Am I forgetting anything else in the construction any other advice or ideas?

nadsab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #2

Replacing a basement stairway a few construction questions...

Couple of corrections to above, in 1.) I meant Tapcon cement anchors not strong tie.

And for 2, I was thinking of using Strong Tie joist hangers for the stringer attachment to the floor joist, the LSU-28 hangar for 8" joists, adjustable slope. Anyone think this is OK?

nadsab is offline   Reply With Quote