DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacing aluminum window with a vinyl one?

11K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst. 
#1 ·
Ok I have wood siding on my house and I am replacing my old aluminum window with a vinyl new construction window.
Ok where the flashing paper or whatever that paper is called that covers the nailing fin on the aluminum window is, would it be alright for me to tear that paper enough to get the window out and then install the new window and then use silicone or some kind of sealant to repair the little tears.
I would buy a roll of that paper I seen they have it in like 6'' rolls but I will have a hard time installing the paper unless I pull the siding panels off the house.when I pulled the trim from around the window to get the mesurements for the new window I can see the nailing fin all the way around the window but there is just enough room to get the window out and get the new one in,so there is not enough room to get the strips of flashing paper on there.
There is like 18'' eavs on that side of the house,does the paper even really need to be there?
If I have to remove the siding to do the job right then I will but
if I really do not have to then I would rather not.
Thanks Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.