Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
1st time home owner

Share |

Replacing "Aluminum Flared" Windows?

Hi everyone,

I just got a contractor out to take a look at the windows in my 20 year old , Raleigh NC house. As far as I know, the windows were never replaced. Anyway, he told me that there were a few things about the windows that made it such that they would not qualify as "standard installation" and therefore have an extra installation fee.

Could someone please tell me if he's just fishing for more money or if these are genuinely problems for replacing the windows:
1 - He said that the windows were "Aluminum Flared", meaning that the windows had aluminum jutting past the frame, which kept it in place and therefore were harder to remove.
2 - He said that the window frames were solid wood (even the decorative indoor parts).
Because of #1 and #2, he said that they would essentially needs to take down the frame from the inside and cut the frame custom and then rehang it.

Therefore, the standard installation price per window (which is about $120) would be augmented by about $80 for extra parts and labor (bringing the total to about $200 per window, not including the new window itself).

Does this sound anywhere near right? I'll probably take a look at Home Depot as well, though their prices for windows themselves (not including installation fees) were much higher than at this place.

(He also suggested that it might be better to reconstruct the entire window frame rather than just remodel the frame. By "reconstruct", he meant that they would take down the entire frame as if they were deconstructing a house, and then put an entirely new frame in. He did say going the reconstruction route would probably be about 3x as expensive as the remodeling route. Anyone have any opinions as to whether it would be worth the extra expense.)

Thanks!

bahaisamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #2

You don't mention what type of window is going into the opening. New construction? Replacements? What style windows are in there now? Double hungs? Casements? Sliders? Posting pictures would help. I've never heard of wood framed windows with aluminum flanges. Don't know why you would need to remove them for replacement install unless they were rotted.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
General Contractor

I would strongly advise getting a few other estimates and checking references.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
1st time home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You don't mention what type of window is going into the opening. New construction? Replacements? What style windows are in there now? Double hungs? Casements? Sliders? Posting pictures would help. I've never heard of wood framed windows with aluminum flanges. Don't know why you would need to remove them for replacement install unless they were rotted.
Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the response. Sorry for not including this information in my initial post. I hope that I can answer your questions here. I think that the windows that are going to replace the old ones are replacements (as opposed to new construction). If I understand properly, the difference is whether there is a full frame on it. (I'm not looking to spend a whole bunch on this project, but on the other hand, I also do want quality. So, I figure that replacement windows are what I want.)

The sytle is double hung. I've attached a few pictures of one of them as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing "Aluminum Flared" Windows?-fullwindow-distance.jpg   Replacing "Aluminum Flared" Windows?-leftside-distance.jpg   Replacing "Aluminum Flared" Windows?-middleright.jpg   Replacing "Aluminum Flared" Windows?-topleft.jpg  
bahaisamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Based on the pics you are showing, it sounds like the original contractor 'could' know what he is talking about.

Do you have any outside pics. I assume that they might show that more work is needed (?).

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-03-2007 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #6

I don't see any wood frame in this window. This looks like a vinyl window. In a tradional replacement window install the original unit has a wood frame and wood sashes. The interior stops are removed, the parting pieces are removed and you're ready to fit the new unit against the exterior stops.
I don't know how your parting pieces are attached. Unless you can clean out the existing frame of all the extraneous parts, you can't install the new replacement window properly. This should all be asertained when the contractor makes his initial visit. It should be confirmed by the other contractors as well as you should get a few estimates. As Atlantic has said, outside pictures would help as well as a determination if the frame can be cleared of all the parts AND that the exterior stop is wide enough to hold the window.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

It does look like a vinyl window to me as well.

ken_man is offline   Reply With Quote