Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

replacing all girders and joists

I am a plumber/handiman with some educational background in structural engineering. How would one go about replacing the entire support network of a house---joists, girders and some subflooring? I know of one instance in which contractors picked up the entire house and reset it on new foundation close by, but I don't know how they held it intact while picking it up nor how they repaired underneath it before setting it back down. The house in question is so close to the ground that one has to dig to get under it. The owner is a perennial optimist who wants to preserve his family home.

richrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
STAFF

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrosser View Post
I am a plumber/handiman with some educational background in structural engineering. How would one go about replacing the entire support network of a house---joists, girders and some subflooring? I know of one instance in which contractors picked up the entire house and reset it on new foundation close by, but I don't know how they held it intact while picking it up nor how they repaired underneath it before setting it back down. The house in question is so close to the ground that one has to dig to get under it. The owner is a perennial optimist who wants to preserve his family home.
You can only hope he has much patients and very deep pockets. I did that very thing on a total restoration of an 1845 home. It is very time consuming and nerve racking. It would be much easier and a loooooot cheaper to build a new home. If you plan to bid the job you best bid high, very high.

Jim

BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Who is going to do this work?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote