Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

Replacing 3-stud Corner and Bottom Sill (56k Beware)

Long time lurker, new poster.

Backstory; when we purchased the home, the inspector pointed out some rotten siding. Fastforward to yesterday when I pulled a few rows of rotten siding to replace. Well, worst case scenario smacked me in the face and here we are. It's pretty obvious the previous homeowner slipped on a poor bandaid of OSB pieces and foam. One corner is completely rotten(I'm waiting for Terminex to make sure it's just water). Regardless, it needs to be fixed. That's where I come in.

I'm going to need to replace the bottom sill from what I can tell and the 3-stud corner seems to be nearly gone. The plan is PT on the bottom sill. I'll also be putting some vycor over the slab/bottom sill transition and re-papering.

I'm figuring this is a load bearing wall(exterior) and trying to make sure my plan of attack makes sense. My plan is to build a support wall just on the inside of the wall(pic below) to take the load while I pull the bad framing. I'm also thinking that the adjacent wall is carrying some load of the end truss. Between a support wall and the adjacent wall being intact, do I run any risks of wearing the house? Am I in over my head? I'm pretty good with tools and a tape, and am confident in my abilities.

Now, on to the pics...Sorry about the sheathing. I dont want to disturb much until the termite guy comes.

My nightmare:

Looks like a 3-stud corner, far right one possible intact:

Double bottom sill?

Here's a pic of the attic. Far right truss, on corner in question seems to run just inside the adjacent wall. Also, the first row spacing is 16" and 24" for the rest of the run. for reference, between the 2nd and 3rd truss (R to L), there is daylight which is from the soffit that is located directly above the center of the window.

Rough truss spacing/positioning based on measurements(pardon the dead plants; winter freeze):

My planned support wall inside:

TIA

Craig

Last edited by TellyDSP; 03-13-2011 at 02:53 PM.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #2

Looks like a straight forward fun project. The sill plate and stud don't show any signs of termites, but the shot of the OSB looks to have holes in it.. Could be nail holes as I don't see mud tunnels or mud between the framing members.
Are you planning to remove the OSB along the bottom and replace it with exterior ply?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #3

Glad to hear your opinion on termites. I didnt think it looked like it, but there's some other damage on the other corner that appears more bug related. I found it safer to preserve it all for inspection. Let's hope your eye is right. My bond doesn't cover "hidden damage" missed during the initial inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are you planning to remove the OSB along the bottom and replace it with exterior ply?
Ron
I had planned on removing 1-2ft of the bottom along the entire wall(depending on current water damage) and replacing with PT ply. Is "exterior" the same or a different animal.

Does my support approach seem solid? The fact that I have access to just inside the wall, the support will be only inches from the wall being replaced.

Here's the whole wall, to give you an idea of the mess I found. It extends further to the right too. Note the dryer vent which was unsealed/flashed.

TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

The support plan is fine.
Pressure treated is different fron exterior sheathing. Pressure treated is infused with insect and wood preservative. Exterior sheathing, whether it's Doug Fir or Pine, just has exterior glue.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote