Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Replacing 16' of damaged top plates

My question is do I cut loose the studs and floor joists as I am jacking up section or wait until I have temporary wall up? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by Clampet1; 11-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Clampet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Bombastic Idiot

This procedure could be dangerous to life and limb.
Depends on if you want them to fall on you or not. This is a two story deal? Get your more than adequate shoring and temp wall in place first. For ease of handling I'd do this in sections, at least two 8' lengths. Plan the joint to be over a sistered double stud. A sistered lap joint of cap over 3 stud span, one to each side of joint would be safest.

But B4 starting, realize, that advice is just something for you to think about. This procedure could be dangerous to life and limb. Could cause more structural damage than you are trying to fix. Don't start on job before giving more details and some pictures would be helpful.
Is it two story? Is it exterior wall? What size and spacing of studs are in place? What size and spacing in temp wall and shoring? Size of jacking columns and beam? What supports temp wall from below?Windows or doors in the wall? What about windows or doors in wall above? Does this wall support another wall directly above? Walls at right angles? What is damage to plate? What caused it and has that cause been corrected?
This procedure could be dangerous to life and limb.

notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #3

Damage was caused by subterranean termites ,was treated probably 5 years ago sentricon system since no activity since. Repaired that area then. just recently discovered this damage on other side of house. Only top plates damaged where flashing around chimney failed. Sent mud tube up between stud and drywall no damage to stud. Planning on building support wall out of 2 by 6 16" oc. 2x10 against ceiling 2x6 on garage floor. Coventional framed three story load bearing wall 20feet over down center of house. One window damaged sills half way across top of header. Was wondering about building support wall on inside while jacking up 1/4 to 1/2" on outside starting at middle of damage and working my way out? Thanks for information I have framed new houses but never repaired top plates
Clampet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

A three story house? Does this wall support two stories? " What size and spacing of studs are in place?" Build your temp wall from same size or larger studs. Get it as close to wall as you can and leave barely enough working room. Secure bottom to floor so it doesn't slide out. Secure top plate of temp to joists thru slightly over size holes but do not drive screws home, leave 1/2" or so of head end exposed, so when you jack up fasteners slide up. Insert shims directly above temp studs under joists. Long strips plywood on temp plate.
Not sure how you plan on jacking up from outside, usually jack up with doubled 2X's on edge under joists, jack up evenly, working back and forth from end to end, till snug, cut joists free, jack up evenly til just enuf room to get plate out and in, shim and secure temp wall. Cut studs free, might wanta secure a 2x to faces of studs to be freed and to studs on each side, to keep spacing and alignment.

Probably be easier to work from one end towards other, with two or even 3 shorter plates, free only joists and studs and cut old plate out in that section. Less weight on temp wall. Shorter temp wall, less lumber to buy. Less weight to jack, do not rely on jacks to hold weight, once you get it jacked up put double 2Xcolumns under beam with saddles to hold beam. 3 or 4 foot 2X's on each side of column extendig upwards almost width of beam. Even then temp wall is main support.

Put plate in, fasten studs, lower and fasten joists, move to next section. Keep eye on window, don't wrack frame,jack that section up evenly, best not to have a joint in plate directly under it, so 3 sections might be best. Repair window sill etc after plate work done.

I'm still worried about weight above. especially with nearest other bearing wall 20 feet away.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

don't really need to 'jack' up the joists, just take the pressure off.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote