Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacement windows

We had replacement windows measured by one contractor from the inside and every window as a half inch to 7/8 different, even within room. The windows came and were an inch too short and at least a half inch too narrow.

We had another contractor explain that all the windows were the same and most windows are measured from the inside but these windows had to be measured from the outside because the window stops are held in at an one inch, to an inch and and a half, from the interior trim.
These fit perfectly.

How common is this? Thanks, Stan

StanDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDavid View Post
We had replacement windows measured by one contractor from the inside and every window as a half inch to 7/8 different, even within room. The windows came and were an inch too short and at least a half inch too narrow.

We had another contractor explain that all the windows were the same and most windows are measured from the inside but these windows had to be measured from the outside because the window stops are held in at an one inch, to an inch and and a half, from the interior trim.
These fit perfectly.

How common is this? Thanks, Stan
I'm a little confused as to what you're trying to say.
Did you have 2 contractors put in windows?
One guy measured incorrectly and the other guy was correct?
What is your definition of a replacement window?
What windows did these replace? Wood double hungs?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Replacement windows

When I did my replacement windows it was the same way. The top of the window has a piece that will slide up to cover the gap and held in place with a few screws that you never see. The trim will cover the sides you can install insolation around the sides before the trim just do not use the foam stuff or it will bow your windows and they will never work right again.
flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #4

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavy View Post
When I did my replacement windows it was the same way. The top of the window has a piece that will slide up to cover the gap and held in place with a few screws that you never see. The trim will cover the sides you can install insolation around the sides before the trim just do not use the foam stuff or it will bow your windows and they will never work right again.
You would use the slow expanding foam for this application. Installed correctly, you should have no issue.
Ron
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Replacement windows

Sorry... It did sound a little confusing,

We stopped the first contractor (still in small claims court), because there was more than an inch space on top and one half, to three quarters of an inch space on the sides. He wanted to add more wood to the outside of the house to fill the gaps. The contractor friends I talked to said the windows should fit much closer and I should stop the job. It had taken a crew of two all day to partially install one window. FYI-He had measured from the inside and every window in the house had a different measurement.

Fast forward six months, and I found a window installer that measured from the outside saying, "Most windows are measured from the inside but these windows had to be measured from the outside because the window stops are held in at an 1 inch to an 1- 1/2 from the interior trim." He was recommended by a friend and we hired him to install the 18 windows. They fit perfectly and we are very satisfied.
Every installation instruction on the internet says to measure from the inside and I need to know why my windows, in a house built in 1984, were different and if there is a name for this type of construction. Many Thanks!
Stan
Old 03-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Replacement windows

Stan,
It sounds like it's a moot point now. Normally, replacement windows are measured from the inside. What dictates the points the measurements are taken from is the surface the new windows are going to butt up against. In the case of a traditional wood double hung with sash weights, the new window is going to take up the space left by the removal of the sashes and parting stop molding in between.
The window company I get vinyl windows from makes windows to the exact measurement you give them. In the early days, they would automatically cut back the width and the height by a set amount. If the window openings are relatively square, I order the windows so they are no more than a 1/2" less in width, and a 1/4-3/8" in height. I don't use the expanders on top. They get in the way of the trim going back in on the inside.
Why don't you post some pics of the inside and outside of your windows. Maybe we can tell you why then they were measured from the outside.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #7

Replacement windows

The point is moot, except that he kept 5K of our money when we stopped the job.

You can see the space when the first contractor was installing the replacement and the space between (white).

When we found a bette,r third generation window contractor who was familiar with the type of window we had in our 1984 home he measured from the outside...saying, the window stops are held in at an 1 inch to an inch and and one half from the interior trim. It is true that most window replacements are measured rom the inside, but there are exceptions. The first contractor was not familiar with this, the second was.
Stan
see finished window (dark).
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement windows-first-replacement.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #8

Replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDavid View Post
The point is moot, except that he kept 5K of our money when we stopped the job.

You can see the space when the first contractor was installing the replacement and the space between (white).

When we found a bette,r third generation window contractor who was familiar with the type of window we had in our 1984 home he measured from the outside...saying, the window stops are held in at an 1 inch to an inch and and one half from the interior trim. It is true that most window replacements are measured rom the inside, but there are exceptions. The first contractor was not familiar with this, the second was.
Stan
see finished window (dark).
It's irrelevant where you measure the window. What's relevant is what you measure. The first contractor didn't know is tush from a hole in the ground.
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
StanDavid (03-13-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM   #9

Replacement windows

Thanks again... The first contractor never did come in the house to even see our complaint.
Stan