Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #1

Share |

Replacement Windows

We purchased our house in August last year, and wouldn't you know it the furnace went out in October.... LOL Oh well we knew we would have to replace it sooner or later since it was about 30 years old. Anyway...... We have this new high efficient furnace and most of our heat is literally going out the windows.
The home was built in 1939 I I really think it's the original windows. They're single pane with the big storm windows you have to push into place and latch in. Needless to say they need replaced.
This is our first house and we only plan on staying in it for about 5-7 years so we don't need the absolute best top of the line but I don't want some crappy window that is going to start leaking or falling apart in a couple years (although a new crappy window HAS to be better than what we have now... )
I have checked out the 3 big box stores (in central IL we have Menards) and all their windows SEEM to be decent but I know there is someone out there that knows a lot more about them than me. It's going to be fairly pricey since we have 19 windows to replace...thats just a single story! Whoever built our house liked windows, and liked them big. They're on average 30"x60". minus the 2 bathroom windows of course. I've had a few local window places come for the in home estimate and it's running from around $6200 to $7500 and I have 2 more estimates to get yet. I know I can install them myself but I wanted to see how much more it would cost to have someone else take care of it for me and now that I've seen the price i'm leaning toward just doing it myself.
So...... now that i'm done rambling on any suggestions????

lucky8926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Replacement Windows

Be sure you understand everything about installing them. New construction or replacements? What does this even mean? Flashing details? Caulking or not, which caulking? which tooling? Sill details? Type of insulation around the window? And much more..... You can do this yourself if you have the knowledge or do your homework to get the knowledge.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #3

Replacement Windows

Avoid big box for replacement windows, they are junk, IMHO(24 yrs as a remodeler, Master installer for Certainteed windows). If those local companies are offering inexpensive windows(buy 1, get 1 free, etc) with unknown names, avoid them. Look for windows from national or at least regional manufacturers with known track records. Warranties are only as good as the company, and many are not there when you need service.

Your windows probably have weight pockets in the sides, and may no longer be square. When you measure for the windows, measure to the frame itself, not to moldings. Measure in 3 places on sides, top/bottom, and mearure the diagonal(checking for square). The diagonal should be equal. Take the smallest of the 3 readings and this is your 'opening size'.

Those weight pockets have an access cover toward the bottom of the frame, remove that and clean out the pocket. Fill with fiberglass insulation, but keep it as loose as possible, do not pack it. Insulating those pockets is essential to keeping out drafts. Follow instruction supplied with the windows. If you gave the vendor 'opening size' the windows should be about 1/4" smaller than the opening. There will be a small gap around the windows once installed. Fill that gap with NON-expanding foam. I like DAP Foam, never hardens, water clean up, and will not over expand. Urethane foams can be a real mess, and can push out the window frame.

Hope this helps, still want to DIY??
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
SDC

Replacement Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
We purchased our house in August last year, and wouldn't you know it the furnace went out in October.... LOL Oh well we knew we would have to replace it sooner or later since it was about 30 years old. Anyway...... We have this new high efficient furnace and most of our heat is literally going out the windows.
The home was built in 1939 I I really think it's the original windows. They're single pane with the big storm windows you have to push into place and latch in. Needless to say they need replaced.
This is our first house and we only plan on staying in it for about 5-7 years so we don't need the absolute best top of the line but I don't want some crappy window that is going to start leaking or falling apart in a couple years (although a new crappy window HAS to be better than what we have now... )
I have checked out the 3 big box stores (in central IL we have Menards) and all their windows SEEM to be decent but I know there is someone out there that knows a lot more about them than me. It's going to be fairly pricey since we have 19 windows to replace...thats just a single story! Whoever built our house liked windows, and liked them big. They're on average 30"x60". minus the 2 bathroom windows of course. I've had a few local window places come for the in home estimate and it's running from around $6200 to $7500 and I have 2 more estimates to get yet. I know I can install them myself but I wanted to see how much more it would cost to have someone else take care of it for me and now that I've seen the price i'm leaning toward just doing it myself.
A good window is only as good as the installer. Like he said
Quote:
Those weight pockets have an access cover toward the bottom of the frame, remove that and clean out the pocket. Fill with fiberglass insulation, but keep it as loose as possible, do not pack it. Insulating those pockets is essential to keeping out drafts. Follow instruction supplied with the windows. If you gave the vendor 'opening size' the windows should be about 1/4" smaller than the opening. There will be a small gap around the windows once installed. Fill that gap with NON-expanding foam. I like DAP Foam, never hardens, water clean up, and will not over expand. Urethane foams can be a real mess, and can push out the window frame.
Yes a DIYer could do it but you will have a learning curve. $7500 does not seem high to me for 19 windows.

Just look at the quality of the window, frame and all, double panes, low-E and ARGON are great but if it is a hollow vinyl frame you have no insulation, and you lost all of the R-value.

Could not agree more...
Quote:
Avoid big box for replacement windows, they are junk, IMHO(24 yrs as a remodeler, Master installer for Certainteed windows). If those local companies are offering inexpensive windows(buy 1, get 1 free, etc) with unknown names, avoid them. Look for windows from national or at least regional manufacturers with known track records. Warranties are only as good as the company, and many are not there when you need service.
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #5

Replacement Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
That is what I figured. I was "drawn in" to the fact that the big boxes replacement windows are made by reputable window manufacturers ie: Pella, Anderson, etc. Now i'm learning they aren't even that quality any more..... I guess they just have a good name because they have been around forever....

Quote:
windows probably have weight pockets in the sides, and may no longer be square. When you measure for the windows, measure to the frame itself, not to moldings. Measure in 3 places on sides, top/bottom, and mearure the diagonal(checking for square). The diagonal should be equal. Take the smallest of the 3 readings and this is your 'opening size'.
I don't think they have weight pockets, there are these hollow rods made of i'm not sure what but I know it's not wood or metal since I can twist them, but anywayit appears the windows slide up and down on them. I'll try and get a pic up of them up so you can see what i'm talking about. I checked for the access holes in the weight pockets and there isn't anything there.

Quote:
Hope this helps, still want to DIY??
Yep i'm still up for it. I've gutted our kitchen and bathroom plus ripped out the front door and installed a new one. I'm capable of the job, just hadn't figured out if I wanted someone else to do the work this time or not..... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
A good window is only as good as the installer. Like he said
Yes a DIYer could do it but you will have a learning curve.
See above about me doing it myself. I can do it, but not sure if I want to...LOL
One of my supervisors at work gave me his dads info and told me to give him a call. He does a lot of contract work but it's a small home town business so I trust him to do the work over a big company. He said he can get whatever windows I want for cheaper since he can get a contractor rate and put them in for me so I think i'm going probably going to go that route.

Quote:
$7500 does not seem high to me for 19 windows.
No I dont' think it's high either, but compared to an average house (I added up and my last 2 houses only had about 10 windows each and they were quite a bit smaller) we have a lot of windows and they're kind of big so it's going to be on the higher side.

Quote:
Just look at the quality of the window, frame and all, double panes, low-E and ARGON are great but if it is a hollow vinyl frame you have no insulation, and you lost all of the R-value.

Could not agree more...
Yes I know I want low-E and Argon, and one of the companies that gave a quote showed a cut away and the window frame was foam filled. The other company said they could fill the frame with foam or whatever insulating material they use for $25/window but said it wasn't necessary due to multi chambered frames or something like that. I believed him since he IS a salesman and he was actually saying something that cost more wasn't necessary..... with 19 windows that would be an extra $475

Last edited by lucky8926; 02-19-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

Replacement Windows

Here are some pics of the jamb and the "slide rod"
Attached Thumbnails
Replacement Windows-window1.jpg   Replacement Windows-window2.jpg   Replacement Windows-window3.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #7

Replacement Windows

Since you are thinking of doing it your self, and assuming you aren't completely inept at a little DIY, your best bet is replacement windows as opposed to new construction windows. Otherwise, you're going to end up removing exterior trim and possibly some siding, and maybe even some interior trim. The job cost will go up significantly if you have to do all of this, you or a contractor.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #8

Replacement Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros bros. View Post
Since you are thinking of doing it your self, and assuming you aren't completely inept at a little DIY, your best bet is replacement windows as opposed to new construction windows. Otherwise, you're going to end up removing exterior trim and possibly some siding, and maybe even some interior trim. The job cost will go up significantly if you have to do all of this, you or a contractor.
Yeah replacing windows isn't beyond the realm of what I'm capable of by any means, I've tackled far harder projects and they came out good. I'm definitely going with replacement. I checked the sills and they're all in good condition so there is no need for new construction and having to do any un-necessary work.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #9

Replacement Windows

Well, let me go a step further and suggest on using Marvin Tilt Pacs. They are an excellent window, and you can get exterior trim to go with them as well. If you go to Marvin.com and do their dealer locator you can call and have a rep come and measure and order for you, and if they screw up, it won't be your fault, cause measurements for replacements can be kind of tricky. The tilt pacs are super easy to replace and it sounds like you could handle it. They have a pretty good trac record as I have installed plenty of them. Vinyl replacements are that bad either, I just can't see not spending the little extra to get a lot more.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #10

Replacement Windows

I replaced 14 windows in my house with Anderson windows
I used new construction windows since I am residing
Smaller windows were maybe $250, large picture window was ~$400
I spent maybe $4500 on windows & doors
I replaced 3 single pane basement windows American?
They were maybe $60 each? Then replaced the door
Basement temp went from 45 to 55/63 depending upon outside temp

Due to 3/4" outside sheathing & 3/4" inside wall finish I ended up doing all my own trim. Used a router to edge it & painted it all
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Man of many hats

Replacement Windows

I'm not sure about your area, but since so many have already reccomended brands and companies, I have to suggest that you at least get a qoute from Window World. As a former installer for them, I know that they have a top quality window for a very good price. They are backed by a lifetime warranty not only covered by the franchise, but also by the manufacturer, Allside. Though I do not know current pricing nor install rates for your area, I would imagine that you should be closer to $6000 for 19 windows including Low-e/argon. I know that when I worked for them they were often 1/2 of other companies but also with a better window(virgin vinyl, constant force stainless steel balances, lifetime warranty. double hung with tilt in sashes etc)
Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples ( same features and warranty) and not just presentation.
HTH,
Brett
Old 02-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #12

Replacement Windows

Wrangler, actually Window World has been the best priced and one that didn't try to sell me the foam filled frame which impressed me since he was, well a salesman and it only makes sense that he would try to sell me as many options as possible. If I were to go with someone right now I would go with them not only for the price but everything u mentioned about the company also.

Anyone know anything about Certainteed windows??? The contractor I might use said he has had good luck with them.

Last edited by lucky8926; 02-19-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #13

Replacement Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
Forget Menards, Lowes ... you need to check these two suggestions: Marvin Infinity, and Andersen Wood Wright insert Window both are replacement windows and are far far better than any replacement vinyl, jeld wen , pella and or any other window on the market, except schuco or eagle windows .... if you plan on living in your house for the next 10-20 years invest in a window that will last and you can get resale value out of home your best investment you can make....
Both windows are compareable- both are insert repalcement windows..you get what you pay for... do you want to back where you are now in several years-replacing windows again? who says you need to do them all now.. also, the Messiah signed a new rebate for energy rebates up to 30% or $1,500 in tax deductables for next year----
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #14

Replacement Windows

Emily I don't need a top of the line window. We will probably only be in this house for about 5-7 years so I don't want want to sink too much $$ into it, that us why I'm looking at mid range replacements.
Silverline is another brand I checked out. They are at my local lumber yard.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Man of many hats

Replacement Windows

Certainteed does have some good windows if you go with their better quality window. I'm not sure about their warranty transfer as I have not installed them for many years. I do know that you can transfer the warranty from Window World (WW) to the new homeowner (not sure if different franchises charge more/less but locally it was $100 to transfer the warranty one time). Personally, I was always impressed with how important customer satisfaction and word of mouth meant to WW. The window manufacturer was so good at sending out replacement sashes if needed and as they try to sell only double hung windows (cost was only $10 per unit vs. single hung) it made it so easy to change out.
Many people have a 'thing' against vinyl windows, and it is probably based on reliable experience, but I have found that quality vinyl windows are a great choice here in Florida and would be my own first choice.
As with any contracting, check with your local BBB to make sure that whomever you go with does not have a laundry list of problems or complaints.
HTH,
Brett