Replacement Window As New Construction - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Replacement window as new construction

the company that is doing the shell for my add-a-level are putting in replacement windows....there is no "nailing fin"

Is this okay? should I insist on something more? I was told that they should be able to add a nailing fin, is this so? is this neccessary?

thank you

Advertisement

mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt232 View Post
the company that is doing the shell for my add-a-level are putting in replacement windows....there is no "nailing fin"

Is this okay? should I insist on something more? I was told that they should be able to add a nailing fin, is this so? is this neccessary?

thank you
Is this necessary...yes it is.

Some window manufacturers make the 'fins' or nailing flanges that can be retrofitted onto their replacement windows.

Personally, we don't like the kits we have run across (Most don't create the weatherproof seal you get with New Const. windows), and we prefer only actual new construction windows for new construction installations.

That doesn't mean that the ones that are going to be used on your home are not good...it depends on the manufacturer. (FWIW - looks like someone messed up the window order somewhere along the line)...

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks.

I think they seriously underpriced the job and are now trying to cheat a little. luckily i'm protected by building instectors, friends/advisors and the smart folks here.

thanks!
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote