DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Replacement Window

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ddawg16 
#1 ·
I have exterior stucco and aluminum framed window. The window is about 47.5 X35.5 I would like to place a larger vinyl insert window 47.5 X 47.5 enlarging the opening (larger length ). My question is can I use a vinyl insert window? I don't want to re-stucco the exterior.

Thanks....Dan

#2 ·
Sure you can use a vinyl replacement window that is larger than your existing window. You just wont be able to use the old frame.

You will have to cut the hole to the correct size (inside and out) and cut the sheet rock inside out enough to frame in the new window size. Once framed, you can stick build the window frame and install it, then install the replacement vinyl window.

It might be easier to use a complete assembly rather than stick build a frame and exterior trim.

#3 ·
I have exterior stucco and aluminum framed window. The window is about 47.5 X35.5 I would like to place a larger vinyl insert window 47.5 X 47.5 enlarging the opening (larger length ). My question is can I use a vinyl insert window? I don't want to re-stucco the exterior.

Thanks....Dan
You don't have to re-stucco the whole wall....just patch it...

In fact, I just removed a window as you described and put in a new vinyl one yesterday (actually....fiberglass on the outside...vinyl on the inside).......you can see the pics of it in the link in my signature....

There is NO way to get away with not having to cut and patch the stucco....especially since your changing the size.

Don't stress over it....it's not that hard of a patch.

But my advice....get a professional to do it for you....especially if your only doing one window.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.