Replacement Vinyl Window & Door Leaking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

replacement vinyl window & door leaking

Hey there folks. I have a stucco house that had it's original windows replaced (before we bought it) with vinyl windows. Last winter I noticed leaking on the inside of the house from both a window and the sliding patio door. They are both on the weather side of the house and get hit decently hard from rain/wind.

I did some investigation and it looks like the replacement window's nail flange is on the outside of the stucco, and then covered up with wood trim. I believe that flange is supposed to be against the frame of the house covered with sealed, covered with flashing, then covered with stucco, then covered in with the wood trim.

I imagine the perfect thing to do would be to reinstall the windows correctly, but is there any other options for repair? Thanks for any thoughts, tips, etc.

Advertisement

adamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, they made a major mistake installing the window like that. The nailing flange should be under the stucco, and the window opening should be properly flashed.

No, there isn't a way to do it correctly without removal of the window/door, and in many cases, some minor stucco work. If left as-is, the leaking openings will most certainly cause rotting in your home's framing. Mold is of course a real possibility as well.

Sorry to be discouraging.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I kind of had a feeling that it was a bad installation. Eventually it looks like we'll need to reinstall the windows. Ugh.

I'm probably not able to get them replaced and re-stucco'd before this winter. In the meantime I'm hoping to do a good job of sealing the windows for this winter. Are there any recommendations for sealing for this winter, other than caulking the heck out of every joint and seam I can find?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes, caulk them like crazy...As a very temporary fix. Leave the bottom open if you can so water can shed if it gets in there.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

What part of the country are you in?

Do you know what company installed the windows?

And at the sills of the windows you need sill flashing that is out over the stucco.
stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

I live in CA (San Francisco Bay Area). The windows were installed prior to our buying the house, so I don't know the company that installed them. Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated that the correct fix is essentially to have the windows reinstalled. I imagine most places are going to suggest that we just buy new windows as well. I can't find any Brand on the windows other than a "Series 2500" marking on the lock handles.

When I "caulk them like crazy", a couple questions... I'm pretty sure most of the water penetration is rain driven by wind against the house and then running down the stucco and hitting the ledge created by the wooden trim boards.

Should I pull the wooden trim boards off when caulking?

Should I attempt to put some sort of drip cap at the top of the window? (I realize this would probably just be flashing attached and caulked directly to the stucco)

Should I install flashing, or angle the top of the wooden trim to discourage water from gathering at the top of the trim board?

Should I try to put any other type of flashing, etc to help waterproof?

Given the look of the installation I'm doubting there is Sill Flashing. Is there anything I should do at the bottom of the window, other than leaving it open for potential drainage?

Any suggestions on a high quality caulking to use? I know to avoid the cheap stuff, but there are a lot of 'good' caulks out there. I'd love suggestions on the best one to use in this situation.

Thanks again for all the help folks!!!

Last edited by adamc; 09-08-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #7

thanks again for all the help. if anyone has recommendations on any of my below, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Can you post a couple pics?

Advertisement

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote